Maxie ate indigestible object!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the fluffies

Reaction score
Maxie's condition was on and off since 3 weeks ago. He is getting skinny and losing his weight.

On the 1st week when we noticed he started to ignore his treats, we took him to the vet and vet had trimmed his teeth because his upper incisors were a bit longer and the molar were a bit misaligned and he has one odd molar. We suspected that odd molar might caused him not eating. He was on metacam, reglan and simethicone.

But he wasnt get any better, so after 2 weeks, we went to another vet. The vet did the blood test as i posted here last week - http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f27/maxies-bloodtest-anemia-leukopenia-80378/

Suspecting it might caused by the EC, Maxie was on Fenben, liver+kidney supplements.

But he is deteriorated, so today we went to the vet again and did xray on him. And we found foreign object on his right abdomen :
maxiexray.jpg

Soon as we get home, i searched the whole house and found this :
20140511_000819.jpg

So maxie might had eaten this baby rubber mat.

He is now on Laxapet, Ranitidine injections and oral Tramadol for 3 days. If the thing doesnt come out, surgery has to be done.

I am so worried. Anyone here having the same experience? I tried to search in this forum but couldnt find any.

Please pray for Maxie. I feel so terribly guilty :(

With where it is on the xray, it looks like it could be a kidney stone to me. I doubt a piece of rubber mat would even show up on an xray. Take a look at the xray image in this link and you can see how similar it looks to your buns xray.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Mech_diseases/Urolithiasis.htm (CONTAINS GRAPHIC MEDICAL RELATED PHOTOS)

A kidney problem would also fit with the symptoms your bun has been having.

I agree that it looks like there is something of mineral density in the left abdomen (assuming the radiograph is correctly labeled) but with such a small picture it's hard for me to evaluate the intestine and the right side of the abdomen, which is where the flufflies says the foreign object is. I can see some gas in the cranial abdomen and a build up of gas in one area can sometimes be indicative of an obstruction.

I was browsing stuff about rabbits and I came to this page that might help you with your issues. One reason why the stones may be forming is because the pH of your rabbits urine is too low. Making sure your rabbits urine is acidified can help break down the stones. "This acidification dissolves the magnesium-ammonium-phosphates stones or prevents their formation" One remedy they offer is liquid magnesium. If you have a health food store in your area, you should be able to find it there.

There is a tons of great information. Hope this helps.

PLEASE READ: SOME GRAPHIC SURGICAL PHOTOS SHOWING STONES

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Mech_diseases/Urolithiasis.htm

Maxie had another xray and ultrasound on 17th May.
Those objects are kidney stones :(

Christina, can my topic's title be edited? Or should i post a new topic to ask about kidney stones?

You can create a new thread or just make a new post in this thread.

Also if you haven't read the link shared above on kidney stones, that may be helpful as well.

Latest posts

Back