Max likes baby formula!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is on the right place or not, it didn't seem to fit in the infirmary as he hasn't gotten sick from it, but anyway. So my lop baby, Max, has decided he really loves baby formula, which I think is weird considering the way the stuff smells! He has eaten pea sized holes in three silicone nipples, and as far as I could tell he actually ate the silicone. It was several days ago that he ate the first two, and he managed to get another one last night thatI didn't realize had been left on the floor. I know it's the formula he's after and not just the nipples, because he also started chewing on an outfit of Timothy's that had been spit up on, and he doesn't usually chew clothes much at all.

I don't know if the silicone is something I need to worry about or not, I wouldn't think it would be very good for him but he hasn't shown any ill efects so far, and I would think he would have by now. Has anyone else with (human) babies and bunnies had this issue before?

I do.....I have a cottontail that was just transferred in from a wildlife rescue in another city. They were having problems getting this one to eat. No problem here. He clips the ends off the silicone nipples. I was concerned about what the silicone might do in that baby gut....but he suffered no ill effects. Obviously not something we want to happen...but anyway. I am now feeding him with a hard Canula Tip without the mini-nipple. And he is working on that one too.

Randy

Wow,I would feel bad for any doe that had to nurse him, what would he do to skin?! At least I know that it shouldn't be an issue for Max. I will just have to go around and make sure there aren't any bottles left on the floor or couch every night before I let him out to play. And not feed Timothy on the floor while Max is loose, either, cause I think he would take the bottle right out of Timothy's mouth! :shock:

I know that cats and rabbits are very different creatures but I did raise a litter of kittens that had to be bottle fed and after their 5th day on earth they would eat a good half of the nipple off at each feeding and were not worse for the wear..

Mind you I did go through COUNTLESS bottles and nipples - but they lived a long, healthy life (oldest I last heard about was 15 and going strong and she was the runt of the litter)..

Latest posts

Back