Max Factor

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xena

Reaction score
I need advice in my breeding program.
First to know is Max Factor is a genetic defect in Netherland Dwarf.

I have a doe that give litters with Max Factor babies. She gave 3 litters all with at least 1 Max Factor.
Their is 2 side of thinking. The first is the stop breeding her and get rid of her babies, to stop that isue. But the second side is some breeders keep them anyway, ok its sad to have a few Max Factor, but they are like peanut, a necesery evil. Some information about the subject said the best show rabbit come from a litter with peanuts or Max Factor in it.

So my hard choice, do I keep her or not.

She is a BEW Doe with a rare bloodline.

All personal experiences are welcome.

I don't breed dwarves but I've seen discussions about this. Yes, they're similar to the peanut. If you're getting good offspring who are healthy then you may decide to accept the MF's as a necessary risk. I know that with Polish, we deal with peanuts because ND's were used to make Polish smaller. I also know that many think that if you have a doe who throws peanuts then she will also give smaller more competitive rabbits.

I will give more info about my story. Her first litter was all dead, but I remember noticing 2 babies with open eyes. Her second, 3/5 was Max Factor. I saved 2/3, and they are still alive at 11 weeks. Her third was born on 25 july, so 2 days old. 1/4 is a Max Factor. I am currently testing on her ( I think its a doe ) to help improve her life in the futur, if she make it. They not always live, most die, so I read.
The first thin to do is to clean their eyes and put ointment in it and do it at lest once a day for a few days, maybe 2 weeks. When they grow up you need to adapt the nest and cage for them, so they can drink and eat.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd...._=1413754945_78b006393ecd63f514ffa06d60170d38

_

10551000_757603657616680_2732649158906466089_n.jpg

These 2 Yin and Yang, 11 weeks old were my first Max Factor. I was so surprised, after getting rid of their eyes infection, they can see well enough to not fall off a table. They surprised me so much these 2 babies that a thought wouln't live more than a few days.

So now I want to know story, experience of other breeder who had that issu and if you keep reproducing the doe and the buck who give Max Factor.

Last edited:
I would not intentionally breed a rabbit that carries the max factor gene unless you are willing to humanely euthanize the kits. Max factors can live (unlike peanuts). But if they do, they are often riddled with structural or other physical deformities and ailments that make daily activities difficult. Because of that, I would never sell max factor kits as pets (and of course not breeding or show rabbits). So that could potentially leave you with a large number of unhealthy rabbits to care for. And their quality of life is definitely debatable.

Honestly, if you take on a breed with potential health risks, humane euthanasia is a necessary evil...as sad as that is.

Latest posts

Back