Matted fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whaleyk98

Reaction score
I know this is more of a grooming issue (I think ) then an infirmary issue but I had one of my new bucks out checking him over and his bum is yucky with matted fur. The back of his legs look a little irritated but nothing major. How do I handle this as I just spent an hr trying to groom him. Can I just cut it out? Its not large matted clumps but more like small mats everywhere. I washed him up a bit because Im worried about cleanliness and all that jazz but I wasnt sure if I should cut the mats out or not. Any suggestions?

What breed of rabbit is he?

if he is an angora or jersey wooly it is very dangerous to attempt to use a scissors to cut out mats as it is almost impossible to know if you have the skin in with the fur.

Ihave known people who used a razor to shave the mats out but this required experience and skill.

I am wondering why he is so dirty; sounds like he needs to have his cage kept cleaner

if his cage is already clean thenI am wondering why he is so dirty ; is there another issue, urine scald is indicative of a medical issues if the bun is in a really clean areas and still sitting in urine.
I wouldn't cut the mats out unless you are experienced but have someone who has done this before help you...

You can place some bag balm on the sore area but need to look deeper into why he needs it.

Was he this mucky when he came to you? Or has it happened since? Is it urine muck or poop related muck?

He is an EL. Im not sure but it seems like he has been sitting in muck. His cage is cleaned out every day since hes been with me as I have been trying to get rid of whatever is wrong. He isnt poopy....just matty. Its like he hasnt been groomed back there. He is in a solid bottom cage right now as he also has a couple sores on his feet that I have been tending to. He isnt a horrible mess but I am concerned for cleanliness sake. My other buck isnt like this. Could it be fron spraying??

It could be from spraying. I'd gently wash his bottom with mild soap and warm water. work on cutting away any matting and apply a little white iodine. The matted fur can hold in moisture that promotes bacterial growth.

Pam

Ok. Thats what I did last night. I washed him a bit and had him on his back for almost an hr trying to groom him..poor guy =)
Ill just take him out every night and try to keep him groomed up. Good way to bond too
:p
Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back