Materials for hutch?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhi Rhi

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm new here. Basically I've had many, many bunnies over time and I have decided I want to get 2 more now after not having bunnies for a few years.

Anyway! I'm going to start working on building an outdoor hutch soon and I'm currently looking around the garden for good places for it to go, when I realised there is an old (and very large) space where there was a brick built in BBQ years ago! I was thinking maybe I could build a hutch into this? I'm curious if anyone knows if brick is a problem for homing though. Obviously it will have wooden doors with mesh.

Another good thing I noticed is because of the direction and the positioning of the old BBQ there will be a lot of shelter from rain and wind which I know is important.

Input would be great please! :) Thanks!

That sounds like an interesting idea. I love to see creative ideas making use of existing areas.

I love housing my buns indoors, but it seems it's rather popular in the UK to house outdoors. There is a gal in the UK who has a nice outdoor set-up for her bunnies. You might get some ideas by looking at what she's done. Just scroll to her "hutch tour" videos (I believe there are 2):
http://www.youtube.com/user/catcatxx

Oh, and if you do build, might I suggest that you take 'before' photos and progress photos to share the process.

Hi guys! Yeah I've been speaking to my Dad about planning the build. I've roped him in as he has the tools. ;) Haha. I guess my only concern is that brick is very difficult to warm up and I wouldn't like the housing to be cold for them? Obviously they have lots of fur and sufficient fat for winter though...

Yeah I'd love to have an indoor bunny but unfortunately the person I live with has severe asthma. That's why I want to get 2 so that I wouldn't have a lonely bunny outside when I'm not out talking to them and fussing them. :)

In the US & Canada we mostly don;t have the moderate climate the UK has, so outdoor living is less likely to be a good option for our rabbits.

I use some bricks in the bottom of Honey's dig box & they're perfectly fine. My hope is that they help a bit to wear down her nails.

Yeah I've kept bunnies since I was about 10 so a good 16 years now and they have all been outdoor rabbits. :) I have found ways around the water freezing and you just find that they get a lot fatter in the winter! Hehe.

If you are wanting two, I suggest you adopt an already bonded pair from a shelter or rescue.

Sorry for the late reply, I have been busy settling into my new home. :) And that is exactly what I have done! If you have a look in "Introductions" and find my thread. :) Thanks!

Back