Massively overweight rescue rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ayglnu13 wrote:
If they end up not showing up, could you upload them onphotobucket.com and then send me the link, then I could save them to mycomputer and resize them that way :D

~Amy
I will;thank you again so much! Sorry to be such a pest: i'mjust a tad computer illiterate! I'll let it try to get there a whilefirst, then try sending it again. Thanks!

erin wrote:
seriously nimue is so adorable!!!!!!!!

This shows how big he is

Nimmy1.jpg

And here are some more pics :)

Nimf.jpg

P1011143.jpg

P1010979.jpg

~Amy

LindseyandKen wrote:
I will; thank you again so much! Sorry to be such a pest: i'm just atad computer illiterate! I'll let it try to get there a while first,then try sending it again. Thanks!

Your not a pest at all! :D I have a lot of free time so I dont mind doing that sorta stuff :)

~Amy

Here's a lightenedphoto of the bunny. It is too light for general photography but Ithought it would help so you could see the bunny better.

Raspberry

4q6el1

I asume that digital camera does not have aflash. The best way to get a really good photo with it is to take thepicture in day light. It can be very near a window, does not have toactaully be outside. The lines on the photo are the 'scan' trying tocompensate for low light.

(I also am a computer tech by trade).

Jay

That looks alot like Judy when we got her. Shehad a weight problem as well. According to the rescue her previousowners fed her unlimited "bad" bunny food... You know, with all theextra colorful treats and dried fruit. And she's a hog. She can'tresist any food. Sometimes we have to herd her away from the bowl soHarold gets his fair share.

The rescue had been cutting her food down gradually and getting her tofill up more on hay than pellets. Since she got to us she has verylimited pellets, lots of hay and veggies. I think what helped theweight come off the most, though, is free run and exercise. As theweight came off, we saw more and more binkies. I think she feels somuch better now! She can move and run! When she came the rescue shewasn't even able to groom herself properly.

Good luck with your chubby bunny. You might be surprised how energetic she is when she's able to move around again!

p1rat3 wrote:
Iasume that digital camera does not have a flash. The best way to get areally good photo with it is to take the picture in day light. It canbe very near a window, does not have to actaully be outside. The lineson the photo are the 'scan' trying to compensate for low light.

Jay
I don't know anything about thephoto....I just saved the original to my computer from the web site andlightened it, then put it back on the forum so it could be seen better!:)

Raspberry

I would suggest a diet of very few or no timothypellets with as much timothy hay as the rabbit can eat. Also maybe giveher some greens (mustard greens, kale, parsley, etc) and tons ofexcersize!

You sound pretty experienced, I'm sure the rabbit will end up doing just fine in your care. :)

best thing to do is take him to the vet and askthere advice they will be able to tell u the best diest to follow.would send the bill to the idiots that looked after him though.

just noticed u live in the uk she is a gorgeous bun wish i could help.

p1rat3 wrote:
Iasume that digital camera does not have a flash. The best way to get areally good photo with it is to take the picture in day light. It canbe very near a window, does not have to actaully be outside. The lineson the photo are the 'scan' trying to compensate for low light.

Jay

True, the camera is a very cheap one, without a flash, and it wasgetting on towards midnight when I took it, so no wonder it turned outso bad, lol. :p

Thanks, Raspberry, for lightening it: she's got a whopper of a doublechin, hasn't she?!! It was v. good of you to go to the trouble, sothank you. :dude:

Lol, I had a right go at my boyf's mam (for it was she who 'cared' forthe bun) and she fed her on the exact bun food EEM was talking about;and a giant bowl at that. Plus veg, fruit and unlimited whitebread...??!! I can see she thought she was being caring, butif a bun starts to weigh more than an extremely large cat, there'sclearly a problem in anyone's eyes. Wondered if Pam or anyone couldtell a breed? (and don't say grizzly bear or rhino....lol)The bunny is called Luna, btw!

Thanks for all your advice: I think I just needed to vent my spleen about the sheer size of the poor thing. xxxxx

PS:The situation reminds me a bit of that fantasticflash Guinea Pig song; you know, the 'I'm a piggy, big and chubby, whatcan I eat? ' song that was posted here before? I LOVED that!!:p

luna looks like a dwarf lop waiting for her ears to drop she is absolutely beautiful.

Thanks, Black Jack! She is a beautiful bunny andso placid and friendly. I can't fault her other than weight, as her furis amazingly glossy and she's perfectly happy to perch on shoulders andcuddle! Not like Izzy, one of my other does, who will take out thejugular vein of any unsuspecting cuddler!!! Oh I know all about evilbuns, lol: a fatty who likes cuddles is a welcome change!(And sounds like me, actually, waaaa!)

The seat Luna is sitting on is actually a whole human bum size seat:don't be fooled into thinking she's little!! She fills a human sizechair, almost!

blimey is she really that big. just beenchatting to hubby about her and he instantly told me no lol.. i wish!she is beautiful ur very lucky.

That bun doesnt look to bad. I have two stories.

1. Last summer at our county fair, our 4-H Leader had rescued a rabbitform a guy. The Netherland Dwarf doe was 1lb plus over wieght, on thekaytee fiesta crap, and on cedar shavings, and had burns fromthem. She ended up going back to him, and we taught him howto properly care for a rabbit.

2. This past Sunday at the show, a kid in my class had a Mini Lop thatweighed 7 1/2 lbs. Max being 6 1/2. It was obviously dq. Whenthe kid left, the judge, which my family knows says to me, "that MiniLop could of been two rabbits."

Latest posts

Back