Massively overweight rescue rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindseyandKen

Reaction score
Advice needed please.

We have added yet another rescue to our ever increasing warren. Thisnew bunny is so fat, I can't believe she's alive. Her dewlap is solarge it obscures her face and she weighs more than our cat.

I am so angry because I trusted her care to my boyf's family, whooffered to take one when we had our last intake of rescues. It seems itwas a lovely novelty, but now, 4 months later, they decided they can'tlook after her anymore (how? We have 12 now and work full time!?) andwhen they dropped her off, I nearly screamed my head off that they mayas well have left her with the original idiot who was 'looking after'her. Seems they've been feeding her bread and all sorts whilst allowingher no exercise. She is a hugebunny with no energyto move, and lumps all down her sides that must be big blobs of fat. :(

Any advice please, on bunny diets? And anger management please, while you're at it?

Thanks,

Lindsey xx

I'd put her on a timothy based pellet, introducesome greens and add plenty of hay. Decrease her rationsslowly and make any diet changes gradually.

Pam

Thanks! She's SOOOOO fat I can't even explainit! She's like a barrel and honestly fatter than the cat.:shock:Was worried what would happen if we put her on normalportions straight away; whether she'd deflate like a big balloon anddie of shock or whether that'd be ok. I think she'll be on exercisesthis weekend!!

Are you putting her on Atkins or South Beach?lmbo....i'd try a treadmill and cut down on all the chips andicecream......i think the bunny treadmill will work! LMBO...justmessin'.....any pictures of the "Lard Bucket"??? I'd love to see her,she sounds like a cutie, though, tons of bunnytude!

Ellie & the Buns

Incidentally, when challenged about bun'sweight, ex-owner said 'Oh, I only fed her once a day and then veggies.'Yeah right. Oncea day with a forklift truck, maybe.:XSome people.......

I feel sorry for the poorbunny. To have to go through two families thatdidn't take care of her. I don't know how you canmanage it with twelve bunnies now. Butyou sound like a good bunny mommy.

Rainbows! :)

Is there anyone who can post pics?Ihave a pic I just took but I think its too big to put up. OMG OMG Ijust noticed Bramble Briars avator: sqqquuueeeeaaaalllllll toooocuuutteee! :dude:

Thanks so much: t'will help my paranoidstressing that the bun will choke in her sleep if others see her andhopefully reassure me! She's beautifully glossy but just enormous.....she's probably a giant cross and I haven't realised. Or a dwarf crossand a record breaker....lol

Linz x

Here she is! :D

Luna.jpg

~Amy

If you have any more pics feel free to email em to me, I will be glad to resize them for you :D

From what I can see, she doesnt lookREALLY bad, but it is kinda hard to tell because it is dark. But I amnot able to see what the rabbit really looks like so it is hard to tell.

This is my rabbit Nimue (nim-a-way) and he has a HUGE dewlap, even though he is right on track with his weight.

nimuechin.jpg

~Amy

Your bun is lovely Amy! So relaxed!

I have taken you up on your offer and sent you a pic of all my buns!Hope this isn't too cheeky: I posted wriggly pics in December andhaven't been able to do it since, so they're massive now!

You are a star! :D

"This is my rabbit Nimue (nim-a-way) and he has a HUGE dewlap, even though he is right on track with his weight."

I thought only females had dewlaps.

Patricia

If they end up not showing up, could you uploadthem on photobucket.com and then send me the link, then I could savethem to my computer and resize them that way :D

~Amy

Back