Mass Under Right Cheek

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittsBunny

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've last posted on here...

Last night I discovered a rather large mass, about the size of a marble, under Wrangler's right cheek. It must have shown up within the last couple of days because I did not notice it before.

He is scheduled to see the vet tomorrow. They are going to start with blood work and will aspirate the mass (take a sample via needle and syringe).

The technician said that the doctors may want to proceed with a CT - which of course in my mind means $$$ and putting my 9+ year old rabbit under general anesthesia.

Last year I took Wrangler to the vet because he had a small mass on one of his digits. They aspirated it and did not find much and offered to perform a biopsy - which entailed putting Wrangler under GA and removing the mass entirely - and perhaps that digit. I decided to just wait and see what happens since the mass was not affecting his movement or quality of life. The vet prescribed an anti-fungal med just to see if it would help (it didn't) and the mass got a little bigger since last year, but otherwise nothing too exciting (thank the Lord).

But this mass is different really has me concerned considering that it is close to his mouth, nose and neck. He's only a little over 3 lbs and it makes me sad to see this mass on his dainty face.

It doesn't seem to bother him whatsoever though. He's eating, drinking, running around, standing on his hind legs, cleaning himself, etc.

I know that the vets will do all they can to help, but I also am unsure about whether or not I want to put my 9+ year old dwarf rabbit through all of the trauma - CT plus potential surgery (if an infected tooth or tooth root is infected). Yes, I have already done plenty of research on rabbit tooth abscesses :sigh:

So, while there may not be an evident answer at the moment, I am seeking good vibes and maybe someone else has gone through a similar situation?

Sending positive vibes for you and your bunny, hope everything goes well. Whatever happens tho your being a good owner by taking your bunny to the vet.

They should offer to do a head X-ray first. It's cheaper and might tell them what they need to know. We had a rabbit who developed a mass under his jaw. Based on X-rays, the vet suspected it was a tumor and, unfortunately, affected his breathing when he got excited.

Wrangler had a CT on Thursday which confirmed an abscess. He had surgery yesterday to have it removed. The vet had to cut a little deeper than expected, but he doesn't think his teeth/roots were affected. His discharges read that he may have slight nerve damage, which is concerning...but overall he's doing well post-surgery. I would like for him to eat on his own though. He does at least make the attempt to.

Back