Martins or Oxbow

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momto3boys

Reaction score
In your opinion which one is a better food?

I have access to both of these foods, Martin's being slightly easier to get, my guys are on Oxbow right now and I'm just wondering if I should continue on it or make the switch.

We have used both Martins and Oxbow.

I think they are both equally good foods...

That being said...we have 11 rabbits...at least 6 of which had a straight 6 month moult this year! (try to imagine the amount of vacuuming that entails!):shock:

We have used Martins since 2004...
We decided to change to Oxbow in July and give it a try...within 2 weeks we noticed a definite difference in the amount of fur!

Oxbow is harder to find and more expensive...but I think we are sticking with it.

If you use it quickly enough, buying in bulk is definitely worth it. You can also freeze some of the pellets to help keep them fresh (and freezing will kill most bugs that work their way in).

montrealcritters.com has Oxbow and they charge a flat rate shipping of $9.99 to anywhere in Canada - I got three 10 pound bags of Oxbow Basic T from them - I got the order the very next day - I highly recommend them.

I thought you could freeze the food??

Ya but their prices are expensive, they want $17.99 for 10lbs of food, I pay $9.99 for 10lbs of food...BUT there is shipping but I usually do a HUGE order and only pay $20.00 shipping which still works out cheaper.

I can also buy it in Moncton which is 3 hrs away from me but my Mom lives there so she or my friend can pick it up for me and it's $14.99.

I can get both foods easily enough, I'm just wondering which is the better of the 2 foods.

If he is doing fine on Oxbow and you can afford it, then stick with it. If it aint broke, don't fix it.
The rabbits I have on Oxbow do quite well and I have been complimented on Korr's coat.

Do some research on the pricing. I can get a 10 pound bag for $15 and I have a friend who got a 50 pound bag for $75, so it works out to be the same cost per pound. There would be little reason for me to buy a 50 pound bag if there is no difference in price and I would have to go somewhere else to get it.
Also make sure that the formula is the same. I think that Martins 50 pound bag is a different formula than the smaller bag and it does (or did last I checked) had animal fat which really isn't good for rabbits. Just make sure you know what you are getting if you switch and go for the big bag. I also know the Martin has changed their formula for the alfalfa and timothy pellets, so make sure they are suitable for your rabbit.

I would put the pellets into smaller ziplock bags. Even if you don't freeze it, having it in the smaller bags will keep it fresh longer. If you just keep opening the big bag, it will go stale faster. Get large bags so you don't need as many as you will go through it fairly fast with a large rabbit.

Latest posts

Back