Martie has hairballs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violet23

Reaction score
I got the vet to stop in yesterday to find out why he hadn't eaten all day and looked weak, hairballs. So now im feeding him that mixture, trying to get the kinda runny poop to normalize, he's still passing poops that are smaller and kinda funny shaped and dark, but drinking normally. Anything else I can do?

also if ou want the poop not to be runny i'd suggest also putting some critical care in there for fibre - too much fruit could make the poops even runnier.

praying for his safe return to health xx

Please post more info ...as described in this link

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=44529&forum_id=16

GI stasis :?doesn't usually involve diarrhea

I would get some pedialyte which has electrolytes in it and give this kind of fluid by syringe instead of straight pineapple juice . Pedialyte is an electrolyte drink for children that is usually given when a child has diarrhea and/or is vomiting . Sub qutaneous fluids may even be a better way to go in a rabbit ho appears weak ; if your rabbit appears weak this is serious.

I also wonder if your vet is knowledgeable about rabbits???

Is your rabbit eating ..if so provide very good quality hay rather than other foods. Feeding striaght pineapple juice all day is too much sugar and will create a gastric disturbance.
I also suggest giving your rabbit a probiotic like benebac or Probios. Look for benebac at pet stores and Probiois at farm and tractor stores.

here is our list of vets recommended by members in Alberta

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12114&forum_id=9

and if you can give more info we can help more :)

Ditto to the above. I wonder if your vet has had continuing medical education on rabbit health in the last 15 years as the idea of giving yogurt is "old-school" and is now known to be quite harmful in most cases. ProBios, BeneBac, or even a human non-milk probiotic from the drug store is a much better choice. I know not all probiotics we have here in the states are available in Canada, but most pharmacies or health food stores have probiotic capsules that are lactose-free.

Well he's back to eating his pellets and hay and drinking water and acting like he did before the hairball, so im pretty sure it passed. He's back to demanding his romaine lettuce and occasional treats, and ive taken out the divider so he and Jezz are back together, he groomed her and she him like crazy, lol. I am going to start offering some fresh pineapple once a week maybe, just as a preventative measure for the both of 'em. If there's a better option just let me know ^^

angieluv wrote:
GI stasis :?doesn't usually involve diarrhea

In cases of fecal blockage, loose stool can actually leak out, so it would not be unusual to see a case of stasis where the rabbit may still pass some watery stool (as in cases of humans with fecal impaction.)

Latest posts

Back