Marmalade has been "bunnynapped"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@licia

Reaction score
I do not even know where to begin. This all seems like just a very long nightmare that has been on going since Tuesday night. It all started when my family and I noticed Marmalade (OUR bunny we rescued from "Rabbit Rescue" no more than 1 month ago), having possible vision issues going on. It seemed as if everytime we gave her bowl of vegetables to her that she could not see it. She would always bang her head off the dish or only know we had food by the sounds of our footsteps coming into the room or the smell of the food. She also did not blinkas asudden reactionout ofher one eye when we put our finger up close to it. As we noticed this more and more, we continuecontacting her "foster mother" and lettingher know what was going on with Marmalade (she actually knew about this problem as she was visiting Marmalade a few weeks prior and thought nothing of it. It could just be how bunnies cannot see directly infront of them as it is so "common" she said).

It wasn't until about the 2nd time ofus mentioning this (this time through e-mail)that she decided to act on it. She had replied to my e-mail stating that she contacted a registered vet tech asking if this could be possibly triggered from the bunny syphlis that Marmalade once suffered from prior to being adopted by us or if it was just some sort of secondary condition. Either way she assured me by saying this "Don't worry, I told her in no way are you looking to re-home Marmy or anything thing of that sort. I made it very clear there are no accusations here either. (you would be amazed at what people can be like)". Later on the vet tech had e-mailed her stating that it is recommended that Marmalade have an immediate vet check-up as this could be a number of things such as EC (e. cunniculi), or something as simple as an eye infection or abscess. We of course became even more worried thinking it was something so serious that required a costly surgery of some sort. We told the rescue that we wouldnot be able to pay for it if it had to do with the syphlis she suffered from (before adopting her) as we were assured that Marmalade was not being affected by it anymore and it was all cleared up. We said we would be able to pay if it was not related to the illness she suffered from before adopting her as that would be our responsibilty to do so.

With that being said, they clearly stated that we would not have to pay for the check-up at all and that they were going to do so themselves at no cost to us by saying "just to be clear, yes, Rabbit Rescue will be paying for her visit with our vet". We felt assured with what they stated and therefore they said they would send a driver to pick Marmalade up at 7:00pm ASAP to have her at the vet's overnight.

When the driver finally came to pick Marmalade up, we proceeded to explain Marmalade's issues and what we would like to have looked at. She did not seem interested at all or even very friendly and just scooped Marmalade in the carrier. We asked her how long Marmalade would be in their vet's care and if she lived far but she did not look us in the eye and all she said was "...Not far XXXXXXXXXXX road", and scurried off with her.

As time went on we became more worried as we were not being contacted by anyone what so ever. Where were our updates? we all thought. We e-mailed and e-mailed and finally we got a reply late last night from a member of Rabbit Rescue. "Im a bit confused by this email. re Marm coming back to you tonight. Marm was returned to the rescue due to lack of funds for vet care. Not to be treated and returned to you. We do not provide vet care for owners, only for fosters. Its Rabbit Rescue policy not to provide the contact info of the foster home where the returned rabbit will be as there are privacy issues to maintain for the foster homes. However I have spoken to them and Marm is doing ok."

I am sorry but there is no way my family indicated what so ever that we were returning Marmalade nor did they state themselves they were coming to pick Marmalade up DUE TO lack to funds, etc., etc. We never said we could not provide for her, only if it had to do with the syphlis which would lay on them as she was to be cleared of it before being adopted out. We offered to pay whatever the vet bill cost was once seeing and and to have Marmalade returned to us.

For some reason I know Marmalade is not even going to get looked at and that we were conned by their sneaky ways. I assure you that this does not end here. My family and I are taking this further and if that means court, then so be it. We want our rabbit back, and that is what we are getting!

PS - I am so upset over this whole ordeal that I do not know if I will be posting on here much let alone logging in. My birthday is this Monday and with the holidays coming (Marmalade was my gift), I am certainly not in the spirit at all. Hope you all can understand.

OMG I am so so so sorry this has happened to u what a terrible ordeal this must be. Words can not cover the grief and anger u must feel

I can't even believe this! I was seriously looking into adopting a rabbit from that same rescue, and had even filled out the adoption papers when I found my dream bunny at a shelter.
I've been supporting their cause like crazy, and even donated to them, and now I seriously regret that. I don't even know how someone could con a bunny lover such as yourself, especially when they are desperately trying to adopt out their rabbits to make room for new ones.
ARG this makes me so angry! Please keep me posted about this, and if you want me to write to anyone, I can and will.
Good luck! I know you'll get your baby back!!!

I'm a member of Rabbit Rescue, and to be clear, Alicia is not personally at fault here and the situation is definitely not one that is easy.

Alicia's mother DID state in emails that they would NOT pay for vet care. She actually said she would "let her suffer" if RR would not cover the costs.

As per the contract agreement that was signed, if a family can not provide vet care, RR will take the bunny back. We are not in any violation, but were acting under that contract. I agree that it is a heartbreaking situation, but given the info we got from Alicia's mom about the rabbit and that they wouldn't cover vet costs, there was no alternative in the matter. Also note: It is not MY decision to do this and I have no power over the coordinators to change their minds. I have talked to them about it and they feel very strongly. Also note, that in the adoption agreemtn, all vet costs are to be covered by the family, even if it's something that was treated in the past. RR did treat Marmalade for syphilis and it was cleared up. If it reoccured, that is no longer our responsibility, or else we would be having adopters all over and at all stages demanding we pay for vet costs. We draw the line at the adoption with full disclosure. It is not a secret, and is in the contract.

Please do not stop support RR, they are a wonderful group. This is a really crappy situation, but things happen. Also please know that Marmalade is okay.

Bottom line: the full story is that it was stated that there would be no trip to the vet, no vet costs would be paid for or could be paid for, and so RR had to step in to take Marmalade back so that she could get the care she needed.

I'm very sorry for Alicia in this situation because I know she is the victim too.

that is sooo awful, I can't believe they are doing this to you. I really hope you can get your bun back.

It's a pretty crappy situation all around. I'm glad that both sides are 'out' though.

I have adopted two bunnies from RR with no issues. I found they have been great to work with and will continue to support them. I even have dreams of fostering for them someday (but living 5 hours away kind of gets in the way of that right now ;) ) Their bunnies are well cared for and looked after, so I'm sure little Marmelade will be fixed up - even though she is not being returned.

I'm sorry it worked out this way for you Alicia.

So in the process of "stepping in to take Marmalade back", RR lied to Alicia just to get their hands on the rabbit??

AmyBunny wrote:
I'm a member of Rabbit Rescue, and to be clear, Alicia is not personally at fault here and the situation is definitely not one that is easy.

Alicia's mother DID state in emails that they would NOT pay for vet care. She actually said she would "let her suffer" if RR would not cover the costs.

As per the contract agreement that was signed, if a family can not provide vet care, RR will take the bunny back. We are not in any violation, but were acting under that contract. I agree that it is a heartbreaking situation, but given the info we got from Alicia's mom about the rabbit and that they wouldn't cover vet costs, there was no alternative in the matter. Also note: It is not MY decision to do this and I have no power over the coordinators to change their minds. I have talked to them about it and they feel very strongly. Also note, that in the adoption agreemtn, all vet costs are to be covered by the family, even if it's something that was treated in the past. RR did treat Marmalade for syphilis and it was cleared up. If it reoccured, that is no longer our responsibility, or else we would be having adopters all over and at all stages demanding we pay for vet costs. We draw the line at the adoption with full disclosure. It is not a secret, and is in the contract.

Please do not stop support RR, they are a wonderful group. This is a really crappy situation, but things happen. Also please know that Marmalade is okay.

Bottom line: the full story is that it was stated that there would be no trip to the vet, no vet costs would be paid for or could be paid for, and so RR had to step in to take Marmalade back so that she could get the care she needed.

I'm very sorry for Alicia in this situation because I know she is the victim too.

Sometimes we have to keep in mind that there are a lot of different views to one situation. Unless and even when you are personally involved in a situation you don't see the whole picture. You have to be in someones shoes to see their perspective.

1) I do understand the rescues perspective of when you adopt the bunny is now your responsibility. Even if it was treated for something and it reoccurs this is now your bunny so you pay to treat it. I am very involved in my rescue, and see the money that comes in and the money that goes out. The money that goes out far outweighs the money that comes in. I can understand the concern that the bunny may not be treated because someone feels it is the rescues job to pay for the vet bill.So these things are not taken lightly.

2) I understand expecting the her back one way or another.I don't doubt Alicia's love forMarmalade.

3) Now in regards to RR possibly lying to get the bunny back. I can understand the concern for the bunny and wanting to make sure she is out and treated. Do I agree with thepossiblelie? I can't say unless I was in there shoes.

In conclusion unless we are directly involved and seeing ALL sides of this we can't really say what we would and wouldn't do. I am going to watch this but I am also going to bring it to the other mods to see what should be done. Considering the seriousness of the situation we may lock this.

Poor Alicia and Marmalade! :(

It seems to me that there has been some serious misunderstandings on both sides here.

Sure it's both parties' responsibilities to understand their rights and responsibilities in a contract, but I think it'd be RR's responsibility to at leastoutline the terms of the contractbefore adopting out the rabbit (and notjust leave it up to the family to read over the contract afterwards!).

And during all these emails being send back and forth did anyone at RR actuallyrefer to thecontract? (Because it seems to me that Alicia's parents were probably just fishing to get some vet bills covered, vet bills they obviously didn't understand they were responsible for.)

Because that seems awfully underhanded to lead Alicia's family on thatRR was going to take care of vet costs, knowing full wellthey weren't responsible for them,and then just swoop in and take the rabbit.

I'd be wary of adopting from them after this incident.

JMVHO

Rue

P.S. Ali, I didn't see your post before I made mine.

It's ok Rue. :hug:

Locked pending mod discussion. :hug:To all. :pink iris:

PS pm if you have something to say.

Latest posts

Back