Marlowe, Jasper, and Gypsy's Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topaz

Reaction score
So I'm finally getting around to making a blog about my three buns; a bonded pair of males and one female who I intend to bond with the boys (everyone is speutered.) First, pics and their stories.

Marlowe and Jasper were unaltered dumpees at a pet supply store. I'm friends with the owner and she told me they, along with 5 other rabbits, were dumped at her stores because they were not "show quality." I was intending to have the chocolate mini lop, the friendliest of all the buns there, until the breeder came back and reclaimed him and 1 other bun (the rest found homes.) Leaving these two on their own. No one wanted them (including myself at the time,) because they were far from tame. If you walked by their cage, they ran to the back. Well, knowing that we had the time to commit to these guys, we brought them home. AFter a month, we had them neutered, went through lots of fighting between the two, and now they're finally happy. Thye do not like to be touched, and almost never leave the cage during their free time (which used to be whenever we were home, but since they never leave, we cut it down to a couple hours of leaving the door open.) Here's Marlowe (the agouti,) and Jasper (the black.)

DSCN0967.jpg

DSCN0985.jpg

DSCN0986.jpg

DSCN0975.jpg

Sorry for the lack of photos of Jasper. It's very hard to get a decent shot of him, and that one is old (from when they were fighting.)

AFter they were getting along great, I decided I wanted my pair to be a trio. I searched for a long time to find a spayed female. My heart was set on a blue small breed girl. I passed up lots of buns looking for "the one." Finally, my friend BlueFrog emailed me a petfinder page with this sweet face:
hoppy.jpg

Her name was "Hoppy" and she's a French Lop (don't know about her color, though.)

Well, after help from 2 folks to transport her from Chicago to Rockford where I picked her up. Her new name is Gypsy, and she LOVES attention. I wanted a bun I could pet and sit on the floor with..and I got her!

DSCN0972.jpg

Look at her poor dirty feesties
DSCN0980.jpg

I'm thinking that with her cage kept clean, and her being litter trained, this should clean up, right?

She and Marlowe have been grooming each other through the bars. They really seem to enjoy each other.
DSCN0981.jpg

That's all for now.

Awwh How cute!

Can't wait to hear more about them!

They are some very cute bunny's.:) That was a very nice thing to take them in even though they don't like to be picked up or held. Not too many people would have done that.

Gypsy'sfeet might not clean up, it won't hurt her, sometimes the fur just gets stained that way. I have a couple of rabbits that have white feet, litter boxed trained and the under sides are just like the color in Gypsy's picture.

That is cute that Gypsy and Marlowe groom each other through the cage. I look forward to hearing more about them.

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
They are some very cute bunny's.:) That was a very nice thing to take them in even though they don't like to be picked up or held. Not too many people would have done that.

Gypsy'sfeet might not clean up, it won't hurt her, sometimes the fur just gets stained that way. I have a couple of rabbits that have white feet, litter boxed trained and the under sides are just like the color in Gypsy's picture.

That is cute that Gypsy and Marlowe groom each other through the cage. I look forward to hearing more about them.

Thanks for the info on the stained feet. I know she was well taken care of at the shelter, but don't know her back story before then. I don't even know how long she was there awaiting a home. Today, everytime I walk through the kitchen (where the bunnies are kept,) she jumps on top of her house (an upside down clothes basket with a big hole,) and begs for attention. She's everything I wanted in a rabbit. I'm hoping that once the boys are bonded with her that she'll teach them that I'm not going to eat them. It'd be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

What's great is that she's already coming to me every time I call her over.

I noticed that she's either heavily shedding or she's pulling out her fur. There are tuffs of fur in her house that I found the first day home. Haven't seen anymroe since then, though.

I'm wondering how long I should wait before doing proper introductions with the boys.

Topaz wrote:
I'm wondering how long I should wait before doing proper introductions with the boys.
I would wait at least a4-6 weeksafter they are neutered, it takes that long for the hormones to settle down.

Marlowe just wanted to say hi to everyone on RO.

DSCN1054.jpg

I took more pictures of Gypsy last night, but most of them came out blurry. It's hard to get pics of a bun when she keeps climbing on your lap and forcing you to pet her. :bunnyheart

Introductions went wonderful with the trio! Jasper chased Gypsy around some, but they now feel comfy enough to cuddle and eat together. Though Gypsy spends most of her time on one end of the cage while the two boys are sleeping together, I think it worked very well. Their cage is HUGE(82"L x 36"w x 29"h.) Huge enough so that I'm considering a fourth down the road (another spayed girl.) Pictures!

DSCN1536.jpg

Gypsy playing in what was the boys' "den"
DSCN1537.jpg

Jasper eats hay while Marlowe eats Jasper...strange bunnies.
DSCN1538.jpg

awwwww Look at that bunny nose what a gorgeous picture :)Its such a shame they are so timid but you may find that if Gypsy is so friendly and cuddly towards you that she may just boost those boys confidence a bit as well ;)I have always found if i have a shy bun and they are friendly with a very easygoing bun they tend to come out fo their shell a little bit.

Now more piccies please :D

Latest posts

Back