maomaochiu is not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maomaochiu

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

i just got up at 7 this morning to check on maomaochiu, and i felt something different. he hasn't eaten his favorite treats i left for him from last night, even now, when i put them in front of him, he did not show any interest. the pellets and hay do not seem to be touched either.

he feels cold, especially his ears.

usually by this time in the morning, he is very active and dying to get out his cage, but not now, he almost hated it when i took him out of the cage.

i don't know if this is an emergency or not, please help! thanks thanks thanks!

maomaochiu

also,

he is grinding his teeth heavily, he can still move and hop.

i do not see any pee or poop in his litter box for the whole night.

he is still attentive, even licked my hand as i run on him.

what is going on?

thanks!

maomaochiu

This does appear to be an emergency situation (possible stasis) -- I'd get the rabbit to the vet ASAP.

Pam

It's definitelyan emergency, and like Pam said, you need to call the vet. No poops andgrinding the teeth could indicate a serious intestinal problem.

:pray:

:yeahthat:

Definately vet time. Cold ears, no poop, and grinding teeth indicate a big problem that requires a vet to diagnose. He probably has stasis, but it's often caused by something else that needs to be treated for him to get better.

:pray:

Thank you all so much for your replies!

it is 8:23am now, and I just hand fed him some hay ( the soft flat green one, not the long sticky hard green or anything brown or yellow),and he actually nibbled on then pretty good, and as he was eating those, i heard some sound coming from his belly, and then he pooped and peed, now he is all active again and just had his favorite treat--yogurt chip!!!

however, he still kind of feels cold especially his ears. i don't know if it is because the weather is cold this morning or not.

he seems to be active again, grooming himsef, hopping here and there, and sniffle at things.

i am due to take him to the vet this afternoon at 3:30 for his 10-day follow up and peed and pooped as i was getting ready toget his car carrier etc, he would have been at the vet now.

thanks!

Sounds like maybe he had a gas attack.I think they seem to get cold if they are in a lot of pain --the teeth grinding usually indicates serious pain. That's oneof the main reasons I like to nipgas problems in the bud --my guys get baby gas meds containing Simethicone as soon as they showany symptoms. I've got a couple who are quite prone to gas,and I swear they look like they're dying -- they're hunched up orpressing their tummiesdown, they'recold, won't eateven their favourite treats -- very scary!

Maybe his garbage can experience caused him to eat just a touch ofsomething that was bad, or helicked it off his feetorsomething.

Glad he'sfeeling better!

sas :)and the gang :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

thanks! i will go pick up somesimethicone. do you know where i can get it? is ita tablet or liquid? also, i kind of remember someone sayingthat in the US there is a different name for that?

one thing that i can think of is that i started to give maomaochiu somepapaya tablets every other day to prevent hairball, it is "chewablepapaya enzyme with chlorophyl", has 15mg papain, 2mg prtease, 2mgalpha-amylase, 1 mg papaya fruit and 1mg chlorophyll pertablet. could this be the cause?

also, i remember that someone said rabbit should not be fed iceberglettuce? now, this might sound stupid, but what is iceberglettuce exactly? i've fed him some lettuce that is the roundshape, not very green, but light light green. is that iceberglettuce? could that be the cause of the gas attack?

thanks again for all your attention!

maomaochiu

I doubt the lettuce would cause problems, its just not recommended bc it has no nutritional value. Iceberg lettuce is the kind thats most common, the light green round lettuce. I use romaine lettuce, its rich with lots of nutrients and such.

Let me check on the gas meds..we have a list heresomewhere..

Here ya go:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11931&forum_id=10

Please keep us posted!

As for the papaya, I would just give himstraight 100% papaya. Check a health food store or grocery store (bulksection) for dried papaya, that you can cut up into little pieces.

Could indeed have been a passing tummy ailment. It's very helpful to learn to take bunn's temperature, so you know ifrabbit actually has afever, of lowered body temp. - both of which are cause for concern.

Pam

Hmmm, is there any good link on taking bunny's temperature???

i suspect that he might have chewed and swallowed some of my carpetfiber (he looooves to do that, no change at all post-neuter).would it be possible that the fiber is causing him to have a block inhis stomach that's why he was not eating or drinking and could not poopand pee?

thanks!

maomaochiu

Yes, it could be the carpet. I dont know if hewould be able to pass that on his own. Do you think he consumed a lot?Were you able to get him to the vets today?

With regards to the digging post-neuter, give it some time. The effectsof a neuter can take at least a monthor two tosetin. My Basil used to chew and dig carpet like crazy..it took a fewmonths for him to stopafter the neuter.

Anyway, Is he eating anything yet, Pooping etc?

I'm so glad he's feeling better! I had a problem like this in January with Mocha and the vet thought it was bacterial or viral. She snapped out of it within 24 hours,but then two of the others came down with the same symptoms within a few days. So I'm pretty sure that was some sort of passing infection. Although Mocha did have it three more times in the following months, pretty much until she finally relaxed about the new house and now I haven't seen any problems for several months.Her symptoms were cold ears, belly pressed to the floor, no gas (my vet said that she had no gas, no blockage/food, no poop... nothing in her intestines), and she'd stop eating before she stopped pooping. And then 12-18 hours later she'd start nibbling food and pooping.

It could have been from a minor blockage from carpet. Does he eat much hay? I haven't had problems with carpet *yet*, butif I notice that some bunny ate a bunch behind my back I cut back their pellets to make them eat more hay. And they eat quite a bit of hay in the first place.

maomaochiu wrote:
Hmmm, is there any good link on taking bunny's temperature???

thanks!

maomaochiu

We've posted some good previous threads on how to take bunn's rectal temp. I'm sure some of our expert "searchers" can find those threads.

(I don't think the search engine likes me :mad::)

Pam

O.k., i will flow the link and learn to take temperature for HIS Majesty maomaochiu!!!

yes, i got him to the vet today and she said a rabbit cannot digest carpet fiber on its own, not even papaya tablet can help.unless he eats lots of hay and then hopefully the hay mixed with the carpet fiber can get through his body. the vet also clipped away a little residual knot at the neuter incision point. she said it is something from the surgery, should desolve 100% inside, but lefta little knot pushed out......

maomaochiu was eating a lot more hay today than he usually would, and even if he is presented with the pellets, he has not paid much attention to them yet. today is HAY day.

btw, i also try to let the vet know about NOT to declaw bunnies, but i do not think i persuaded her. she explained to me the way she does it and she said it is the right way to do it, and it is notin humane. so...... she said she's done more than 100 rabbits declawing, so hopefully things turned out as the way she claimed

thanks again for all your advice and suggestions!

*shudders* I really wish you had better vets in your area. Humane declawing my butt.I don't even think declawing a cat is humane, and doing a rabbit is much worse.

Back