Mandibular and Maxillary Molar Extractions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flick

Reaction score
I just uploaded this new video showing my vet removing extremely maloccluded and abscessed molars. Not for the "faint of heart", but there's actually very little blood in it.

And, Stella's doing GREAT! She's in my living room snuggling with Parker!

Click on the link below:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/user/FastUpOnRabbitCare#p/u/0/Cjq2ONxt3Jg]Molar Extractions[/ame]

Flick wrote:
I just uploaded this new video showing my vet removing extremely maloccluded and abscessed molars. Not for the "faint of heart", but there's actually very little blood in it.

Click on the link below:
Molar Extractions
i could not watch the-link-,,,being familiar with the process,,how is the bun reacting,??,can she still eat on her own??-abscesses are never good,,yet rabbits tend to get them,,maybe someday there will be a vaccine....sincerely james waller:wave::pink iris:

Wow interesting. I have a few questions though--gas anesthesia for this procedure? I'm not a vet, but why not injectible? It would be easier to control--no need to have that nose cone in there, and in general I thought it was safer? He also left in some of the upper right molars? I have read that you need to get both top and bottom out--never heard that the top ones will stop growing eventually, like he said.

I'm so glad you are sharing this info, and that she's doing better! Such a sweet little girl. :inlove:

Well too bad that Stella has a fella as she would be the perfect mate for Beau as they have so much in common.

Outstanding video , Flick , as I have only imagined what this dental procedure is likeand it is phenomenol to be able to view this and also have it as a resource video.

Beau , like Stella, has teeth growing askew every which way and has had as many as 5 - 6 pulled at once. There have been teeth that have grown back because it is so difficult to get the bud of each tooth.

Like your vet Dr Gengler also uses a mask ( don't know why) and at least with Beau only removes the teeth that are either infected and/or loose

I personally do not feel that Beau could recover from a total mouth extraction particularly at his age although I know that that is the direction that many vets go so the rabbit need not have life long follow up visits

Thanks so much for posting this :)
and give Stella lot of pets from me and Beau

james waller wrote:
Flick wrote:

Click on the link below:
Molar Extractions
i could not watch the-link-,,,being familiar with the process,,how is the bun reacting,??,can she still eat on her own??-abscesses are never good,,yet rabbits tend to get them,,maybe someday there will be a vaccine....sincerely james waller:wave::pink iris:
Stella recovered very quickly from the surgery. She has doubled her weight since this video was taken, so she's eating fine. We currently have her on 1/3 Critical Care and 2/3 powdered pellets (we just throw the pellets into the blender until they're powder). She can also eat veggies that are cut up into very small pieces. And she eats pumpkin seeds and small strands of hay. I saw her with a long strand of hay in her mouth and she pushed it into position with her paw. I wouldn't have believed she consciously did that except she did it several times. I agree about the vaccine.

tonyshuman wrote:
Wow interesting. I have a few questions though--gas anesthesia for this procedure? I'm not a vet, but why not injectible? It would be easier to control--no need to have that nose cone in there, and in general I thought it was safer? He also left in some of the upper right molars? I have read that you need to get both top and bottom out--never heard that the top ones will stop growing eventually, like he said.

I'm so glad you are sharing this info, and that she's doing better! Such a sweet little girl. :inlove:
I'm not a vet, either, so I don't have an answer for you. Good questions, though and I'll try to remember to ask Dr. May at Stella's next appointment.

Yes, he did leave in the upper molars. We are keeping an eye on them. On her most recent check up, last Tuesday, he did have to trim the upper molars, but not as much as he thought he would. If the upper molars continue to grow and cause problems they will be removed. For now, she's already gone through so much, we're trying to not add more stress than absolutely necessary.

I'm glad to be able to take these videos and help educate the public about rabbit health issues. The more we know the less fear and better care for the rabbits. And, I agree with you, Stella is a sweetie!

angieluv wrote:
Well too bad that Stella has a fella as she would be the perfect mate for Beau as they have so much in common.

Outstanding video , Flick , as I have only imagined what this dental procedure is likeand it is phenomenol to be able to view this and also have it as a resource video.

Beau , like Stella, has teeth growing askew every which way and has had as many as 5 - 6 pulled at once. There have been teeth that have grown back because it is so difficult to get the bud of each tooth.

Like your vet Dr Gengler also uses a mask ( don't know why) and at least with Beau only removes the teeth that are either infected and/or loose

I personally do not feel that Beau could recover from a total mouth extraction particularly at his age although I know that that is the direction that many vets go so the rabbit need not have life long follow up visits

Thanks so much for posting this :)
and give Stella lot of pets from me and Beau
Thank you for your kind words. Poor Beau! Stella sends him bunny kisses (behind Parker's back, no doubt). I have another video of Stella's lower incisors being removed. Haven't started editing it, yet. Her incisors grew back, so I know what you mean about the buds. However, we'''ve decided to not remove the incisors (again) just yet. We're hoping that with her increase in size and without the pressure of the lower molars, she may be able to keep the incisors, now. Probably not, but "foolish hope springs eternal".

Back