Mama Rabbit Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp33713

Reaction score
I have 2 dwarf rabbits - a male and a female. The female had a litter of babies 15 days ago (2 babies). The past 2 days I've noticed redness on the mother's chest where she pulled her fur out to build the nest. I found pictures online of mastitis, and that's not what this looks like. I just looks inflamed, but not swollen. Is this common? Can I put something on it to make her feel better? Vaseline? Bag balm? Please help. Thanks!

The skin on a doe who just kindled and pulled fur often looks pretty red. As long as the skin doesn't feel hot to the touch (I mean, warmer than usual body temperature) or seem itchy/painful/inflamed, I wouldn't worry too much. I think the skin does get a little irritated when they pull fur for the nest but it grows back in just fine.

I have 2 dwarf rabbits - a male and a female. The female had a litter of babies 15 days ago (2 babies). The past 2 days I've noticed redness on the mother's chest where she pulled her fur out to build the nest. I found pictures online of mastitis, and that's not what this looks like. I just looks inflamed, but not swollen. Is this common? Can I put something on it to make her feel better? Vaseline? Bag balm? Please help. Thanks!
-- watch for signs of inflammation,etc-(as you are already doing.)-any ointments,meds,etc.-the babies would be a major concern,,-you might consult with an exotic dvm just to cover the bases..--sincerely james waller :bunnydance::happybunny::p:pink iris::pink iris:

Thank you both for you responses. I will keep an eye on it. I did put a little Vasaline on it last night and it's looking much better.

:thanks:

It's very common after a litter is born that there is redness that the mama has where she pulled hair, as long as it doesn't look like a rash or she is constantly biting it then you should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Latest posts

Back