Mama Rabbit pulling fur.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StormyB

Reaction score
So Little Girl had her bunnies on October 27. She hasn't even been near my un-neutered male since before then. I just moved her litter box to see she's been building another nest, complete with hay, straw, and fur. There is NO WAY she's pregnant again, unless one of her month old sons somehow impregnated her, which they didn't.

I do know all four babies do like to go back behind the litter box to sleep.

Is she just making them a soft bed, or did she just somehow magically get pregnant or does she just think she's pregnant?

If you are absolutely sure she hasn't been bred by your intact male then it could be a false pregnancy

If she does have another litter then they had to have bred. My suggestion would be to then get your buck neutered asap and/or move him far away from your female. If she continues having litters every month it will not be good for any of the bunnies involved

They aren't even in the same room. I do have a neutered male she sometimes plays with, but he's neutered. No nothing down there, I got him a few days after the Humane Society neutered him, I have the paperwork.

I'll keep an eye, but she shouldn't be pregnant, unless my roommate put Little Girl and Thumper together without permission or my knowledge.....I don't think she did though.

On the chance she IS pregnant, can the month old bunnies be in the same room with the newborns? I can't separate the older babies from Mama until the 22nd......she still nurses them sometimes.....

People have weaned baby bunnies successfully at 4 weeks of age in emergencies so if she does have something you can wean them early and take them away from mom.

If you don't want to it won't be good for the doe but you could just put the nest box in to let the mom feed the newborns or vice versa. I wouldn't suggest it though. Feeding one set of babies is hard enough on a doe.

The older ones can be weaned at this point.. I wouldn't have them with the newborns. If the buck you got had just been neutered then it's very possible he could have bred her. It takes a few weeks for the hormones to leave their system.

Okay, no babies. She's refusing to use her litter box and is hellbent on building a nest in the litter box, so she's either totally convinced she's pregnant or really wishes she was. I also felt her belly, and there is nothing in there, not that that's any use. I didn't feel any babies in here when she was pregnant with her four babies.

And no, the father is not yet neutered, the neutered one is another rabbit. I'm leaving the older babies with Mom until the 22nd.

Our female rabbit went for 5 years before being neutered. She never had contact with a male rabbit. She always had a birthing nest built and ready awaiting in case she had babies. Female rabbits do not give birth where they normally sleep, they build a separate nest for the babies. We had our house fumigated for termites, so we all...my wife, Bunny, and I headed off to live in a Marriott Residence Inn while the house was being fumigated. On our second morning at the Marriott, we awoken to find Bunny had built another birthing nest. She used oat hay from her litter box and stripped newspaper into shreds to build her nest. very cute and endearing. They are really such sweet animals.

Latest posts

Back