Mama of 6 week old and 1 new born

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mlyon

Reaction score
Hi everyone my name is Michelle and I am new to bunny ownership just 1 year in. My mama just had her first litter and my grandson noticed when they were 5 days old. So needless to say there weren’t some happy moments with daddy and some of the babies. We have 5 happy and healthy 6 week old baby bunnies and 2 days ago mama gave birth to one new kit. Only one so I have a huge dilemma...The 6 week olds have two more weeks with mama to nurse, the new one needs to nurse, the new can’t keep its body temp up because it has no one to snuggle with, I tried a nest box but the 6 week olds are curious and go in the box and pee/poop. I decided to take newborn out and use skin to skin or heating pad and just hold her to mom to nurse but did I make the right choice??

At six weeks those kits can be weaned. They should be eating pellets and hay by now anyway. The newborn needs mom’s milk now. We’ve had lone kits survive before, as long as there’s plenty of mom’s hair for it to stay warm under. You should move the older kits to another cage/enclosure, kept together, and they should be fine.

Okay thank you I wasn’t sure if I should move them or not but yes they are eating and drinking on their own. Her hair is pretty thinned out now from her first litter but the daddy is shedding so much every time I brush him I get tons so I’ll use a combination. Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back