Malted or spent grain as rabbit treat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have several dozen varieties of malted grains, ranging from mild and sweet to caramelly, to rich, chocolatey, bitter, roasty, and everything in between. The malted grains are wheat, barley, and rye. I also have those grains, and some others in an un-malted form.

Is this a safe / desirable / healthy option for bunny treats?

I could "serve" the treats either as whole grains, crushed, blended, or in the form of "spent grains" which are malted grains that have been steeped in hot water to convert the starches to sugars, and then most (about 80%) of the sugars are rinced off (for use in beer production). Incidently, they are great in homemade breads.

I like munching on them, but I don't know if they are a good idea for the bunny.

I wouldn't mind trying them myself, but I'm not sure about for a rabbit. I know they'd love the hay the grain came from. Honey's preferred treat is dried banana peel slices. I wash the peel before peeling the banana & she gets some fresh peel & the rest is dried for later. It's her mini beef jerky. I eat the banana myself.

Back