Maloccusion

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
Hey, I've been checking Kiara's teeth periodically and I'm quirte concerned she may have Maloccusions.

My question is, will a vet show you how to clip the teeth or is it something vets will have to do.

I can't keep Kiara if her teeth need clipping every few weeks because I don't have the money.:sad:

Does she have unlimited hay in with her? Thatssupposed to help withteeth issues, although I know somebunnies are just prone to it....hopefully thats NOT the case here!!!!

Maybe some apple/pear sticks to chew on would help too?

are you able to get any pictures of her teeth?maybe someone here could give you a few opinions on what they look likeand better help answer your question.

I hope she doesnt havean outstandingproblem!:? Good luck and I'm praying thetooth fairy will not have any tricks up her sleeve for you and Kiara!

Flopsy has a bad case of malocclusion.My dad has to clip his two bottom teeth almost every week.Your vet should teach you how to do it on your own. It’s hardthough. Make sure the vet tells you how to handlehim! I think that’s almost as important as clipping the teeththemselves! If you vet won't show you how to I'll postpictures step by step for you in a week. We just clippedFlopsy's teeth yesterday. I give him a treat when is donethough. When Kiara gets into the routine she'll get calmer asyou go along.

I really wish though that there was some way to get bunny braces. Malocclusion just looks so painful.

When Flopsy was diagnosed with Malocclusion, I looked all over to findout more about. Somewhere I read that Malocclusion most ofthe time genetic. I'm sure our breeders on the board knowwhat causes this better than I do.

-Ashley & Flopsy & Fluffy

I really hope she doesn't. I know thathollands and other dwarf breeds have more problems with geneticmalocclusion problems because of the shape of their heads.

I found a lot of info on this site- just look under "teeth."

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html#teeth

I'm not sure if it says in those articles, but I remember seeing inbooks that you can trim your rabbit's teeth if a vet shows youhow. With either, you need to pay close attention to problemslike tearing eyes, as it might be caused by the tooth roots growingstrangely after being trimmed.

I've been reading that genetic teeth problems arise between 8 and 10 weeks which would be right for her.

I'm hoping it's just how it looks to me. It's weird because when Icheck her inside, her teeth are misaligned but outside when I did it,they were aligned. So I don't know which is actually how her teeth are.:?

I'm worried t clip her teeth and it may mean I have to give her up because of it.:bigtears:

Don't worry. I felt the same way atfirst. Clipping the teeth is easy as long as you can get someone tohold her when you do it, or you can do what I do, get a parent to clipthe teeth and you hold her. I find its way more easier thanclipping his nails.

That would be great. I'm still debating on going to the vet if it's not too expensive just so I can see it done once.

But right now I've been in tears all day thinking I had to give her upand I just need some reassurance that it's something I can do and nothave to be so down about it.

My vet only charged me $7 to clip Flopsy'steeth. Ok I'll be back in a little bit. I'm goingto see if my dad will help me take some pictures for you.

Easy Steps for Bottom Malocclusion Clipping:

(This may seem odd at first, but soon you will look more forward tothis than clipping her nails. Remember we are notprofessionals this is just how we clip Flopsy's teeth, how we weretaught by our vet!)

ttsmall1.jpg

1. Collect proper materials: Small old towel(our towel isstained when we used it to clean up wine, don't worry thats notblood!),Rabbit,Goggles,and Diagonalcutters

ttsmall7.jpg

2. Be sure to use lab safety and have your googles on. Flying parts of teeth could hit your eye!

ttsmall2.jpg

3. Place towel on a flat suface to your level so its easier for you tosee what you are doing. Then place rabbit on the middle ofthe towel. Be SURE that you aways have control of your rabbitbecause if she desides she wants off the table, your rabbit could falland become injured.

ttsmall3.jpg

4. Your rabbit should be securly wrapped in towel, so that she cannotback up and cause problems when you get down to the dirtywork. Remember your rabbit is not wearing safety googles, sobe sure to have the towel covering her eyes. Also anotherreason we do this is because Flopsy becomes more calm after we coverhis eyes.

ttsmall4.jpg

5. Now person #1 should have your rabbit secure in your arms.

ttsmall5.jpg

6. Person #2 should now cut one tooth at a time being carefulto not twist the tooth when cutting. Twisting can cause painto the rabbit!

ttsmall6.jpg

7. After you are sure that you are finshed and have a cleancut. You should treat your rabbit for putting up with you.

Thanks, that is helpful and looks like something I could do as easily as nails once I get the hang of it.

MyBunnyBoys, Please don't lose hope. Ifit's just her front teeth, like everyone said you can have the vet showyou how to do it and do it yourself. I am praying you don't have torehome your angel.

Tina

OMG that looks awful (I know it has to be done)...poor thing...I can't believe this doesn't hurt them!!!

Good instructions tho!!!!

Excellent job, Flopsy! Very thorough and helpful...especially with the pictures included.

Will definitely be thinking and praying for you and the little one,MBB. Can't even think about you rehoming your babygirl.

:pink iris:

-Carolyn

Just wanted to put my two cents in.. My rabbitSnuggles has Maloccusions of his molars pretty bad.. he's a rescue andhis previous owner didn't give him hay.. well I feed him more hay nowthan he likes.. (he's all over his veggie and pellets).. but it seemsthat Snug's needs his teeth trimmed about every 2-3 months.. and it'snot cheap either.. I've worked out a deal with my vet and I just callthem, pick a day and bring him in and as soon as the vet has a freeminute, he'll put him under and trim his teeth..

btw, they have to put him under since it's his molars.. Snug's willhave this problem for the rest of his life, but with me taking care ofhim, his life will be better than before.. :)

oh and it's not cheap either.. I'm paying anywhere from $150-$250 everytime.. depending on if xray's are needed..

Mandy

Hi, was reading this and it's really reallyinformative!! Quick question here, after cutting, do u have the filethe teeth to get them to be even?Tks.

Flopsy Excellent Photo'sof The proceedure , Your instructions aregreat ,! One for the Rabbit Binderfor sure . Thank You forPosting all that .

gypsy wrote:
Flopsy Excellent Photo's ofThe proceedure , Your instructions are great,! One for the Rabbit Binderfor sure . Thank You forPosting all that .
Thanks!

hollandlops wrote:
Hi, was reading thisand it's really really informative!! Quick question here, aftercutting, do u have the file the teeth to get them to beeven?Tks.
We don't file them, I don't think Flopsywould stand for that. As long as we do a straightcut he's fine. If he's moving around to much to get astraight cut then wait a day or so or persaue(sp?) your rabbit tobehave with treats.

Latest posts

Back