Male Rabbit Neutered but no poop!? HELP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissy

Reaction score
Hey I just had my 2 male rabbit neutered today, the were given a 48h pain relief/ digestive help injection along with criticalcare at the vet in recovery but since taking them home one of my boys hasn't pooped. There is signs of urine but nothing with poop. He's 8 months old and it's over the 12 hour. He is eating and drinking water, finished off a carrot, hay and half a vitamin pellet. There has been movement of hopping into the litter box and grooming the surgical site.
Please help! I'm very worried he maybe clogged by now or is this normal after neutering males? I've googled alot but nothing pin points about their pooping habits.

Hey I just had my 2 male rabbit neutered today, the were given a 48h pain relief/ digestive help injection along with criticalcare at the vet in recovery but since taking them home one of my boys hasn't pooped. There is signs of urine but nothing with poop. He's 8 months old and it's over the 12 hour. He is eating and drinking water, finished off a carrot, hay and half a vitamin pellet. There has been movement of hopping into the litter box and grooming the surgical site.
Please help! I'm very worried he maybe clogged by now or is this normal after neutering males? I've googled alot but nothing pin points about their pooping habits.
Update: he has finally pooped, very tiny when I first saw buy now bigger a few hours later. Just concerned me after reading if it's been over 12 hours then take them to the vet but I guess he just had to rest more. Thank you 😅😌

Their digestive system slows down after surgery, because of the drugs and they haven't had much to eat. Once they get to eating better amounts, the digestion and poop will gradually return to normal.

If either bun isn't eating very much 24 hours post surgery, you should contact your vet, as syringe feeding may be necessary. But if you can manage to get them eating adequate amounts to keep their digestion moving enough, it's better not to add the stress of syringe feeding when possible. I always had the best luck post surgery, feeding my buns their usual leafy greens, but more than their usual amounts if they would eat it.

Here's some more post surgical info.

https://web.as.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Spaying_and_neutering_rabbits

Back