Male or female....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3willowsbunny

Reaction score
We are getting a baby Flemish Giant mix in a few weeks, we are going to get him or her fixed right when the baby is 4 months old. I have read that males are more friendly, females are "bossy" and a little more standoffish, would getting him/her fixed have any bearing on those traits or does it just have to do with the specific baby and his or her personality? We have not comitted to a sex as of yet and I think we are just going to let baby pick us but I thought I would ask anyways. :bunny19

From what I've read, picking one gender over the other won't really stand a chance at getting a favourable personality - it comes down to each individual bunny. :) You might get the friendliest female ever, and the bossiest little buck! Generally getting a bun spayed or neutered improves their personality, since it removes their hormones, which cause some aggressive and sexual behavior.

Here is my perspective as a first time bunny mom of two Jersey wooly sisters & my experience so far. If I did not already have my bunny girls & was getting a baby bun, I would look for a male with a good disposition. The reason I would go with a male baby bun is the eventual neuter. It is much easier on a male to be neutered than a female. Also, the cost of a male neuter is cheaper than a female spay. Its less invasive as well. I'm a worry wart so I prefer to minimize my need to worry! lol

I love my bunny girls, they both are very sweet & I've had no fighting between them nor aggression with me. Sometimes when I read the posts here at RO, I wonder if something is wrong because they are so sweet & haven't had the problems (so far) that so many people talk about in their posts. lol

Keep those things in mind that are important to you in your decision on your bun & then go see those babies & see which one seems to fit you best. Also, keep in mind that if you will be having them neutered, neutering may change their personality some. I've heard it helps with males' spraying & aggression. Spaying the female will eliminate the risk of cancer in those organs. Anyway those are my rambled thoughts, I hope they in some way may help with your decision. I hope you & your new addition will be as happy together as we are with our girls! Please update us with any news you would like to share & when he/she gets settled in, we need lots of adorable baby bun pix!

I have limited experience with rabbits, two males and a female that I have had for about 6 months, but I vote for getting a male.

My boy is both friendly, the most loving cute thing ever and as bossy as they come. I've never had a female bunny but other animals I know that gender is never usually a major issue in personality. I know their personality can change with age if they are not done but if you are planning on getting them done then it should not make a difference.

Good luck choosing your new family member!

I probably should add that we have had 2 mini lops in the past, one Female (Hannah) that died at around 2 1/2 then we got Oreo who died of head tilt, we (vet and I ) thought he was getting better for about 6 months then it came back with a vengence and he passed on. Neither was fixed, but as far as personality went Hannah was a cuddle bunny, sweetest thing ever and Oreo was a bit of a thumper, kind of high strung, he was not shy about letting you know when to leave him alone, he was also a sprayer. So I guess even I know that males and females can break through the stereotypes. I will be sure to post an obnoxious number of pictures when he/she comes home with us. :bunny18:

I would personally go in without having a set decision on gender. I think you are better off letting the bunny choose you, or choosing a bunny based on its personality.

I have one male and one female. Both are fixed. My female is actually more friendly and outgoing then my male. My male is such a sweet heart but he doesn't crave the human interaction like my female does.

All rabbits are different, have different personalities and likes and dislikes. Even young bunnies personalities can change as they get older into adulthood. So just a heads up!

We have a buck that is bossy when he wants attention. He will grab at your pant legs and bite them and scratch at you when he wants attention. But he is sweet as can be. I'm glad we got him. He is just sweet as can be but will tell you off if he gets annoyed with you at the same time. Would I get another buck, yup.

I will be sure to post an obnoxious number of pictures when he/she comes home with us. :bunny18:

We're gonna hold you to that! Adorable bunny pics are something bunny slaves never get enough of, hehe.

I would personally go in without having a set decision on gender. I think you are better off letting the bunny choose you, or choosing a bunny based on its personality.

I agree with this 100%!

I have two girls (who I've had since they were babies) and a boy (adopted as an adult last month); all are altered. My girls are pretty stand-offish, but we suspect they just like making us work for our cuddles - once caught, they're both adorable little snuggle-bunnies. Gaz didn't used to give chase the way she does now, but the longer she and Nala have been together, the more she's sort of absorbed Nala's personality, lol.

Norman is much more openly affectionate, which is a double-edged sword - I love the cuddles, but nobody likes holes in their pants because someone was following them around and grabbing them by the ankles of their pants to demand attention :p. I suspect Normie is SO much more outgoing than the girls because he's always been a solo bunny - he's very "needy" when it comes to attention and I can tell he's desperate to be with Nala and Gaz. They have each other already, so they're curious about the new guy but in a more "could take it or leave it" sort of way. By the same token, they're more reluctant to admit that they both appreciate and need their human snuggles - they won't come seeking it but if they're not getting as much cuddling as they usually do, they're quick to get pouty!

We're gonna hold you to that! Adorable bunny pics are something bunny slaves never get enough of, hehe.

I agree with this 100%!

I have two girls (who I've had since they were babies) and a boy (adopted as an adult last month); all are altered. My girls are pretty stand-offish, but we suspect they just like making us work for our cuddles - once caught, they're both adorable little snuggle-bunnies. Gaz didn't used to give chase the way she does now, but the longer she and Nala have been together, the more she's sort of absorbed Nala's personality, lol.

Norman is much more openly affectionate, which is a double-edged sword - I love the cuddles, but nobody likes holes in their pants because someone was following them around and grabbing them by the ankles of their pants to demand attention :p. I suspect Normie is SO much more outgoing than the girls because he's always been a solo bunny - he's very "needy" when it comes to attention and I can tell he's desperate to be with Nala and Gaz. They have each other already, so they're curious about the new guy but in a more "could take it or leave it" sort of way. By the same token, they're more reluctant to admit that they both appreciate and need their human snuggles - they won't come seeking it but if they're not getting as much cuddling as they usually do, they're quick to get pouty!

All I could think of when reading about your bunnies was the girls sound like cats (make you work for their affection) and the male sounds more like a dog (love me love me!!!). We always had cats growing up and though they were extreamly loving they made you work for their love, the dogs of my childhood always looked for love, my Golden Retriever Charlotte is the biggest love lush ever, she adores pets, tickles, affection.....we don't have cats now as the husband and our eldest are both allergic. :(

We have two cats, and I've gotta say, the "F--- ya... unless you've got food for us" attitude gets old, lol. Don't get me wrong, we love them dearly (and I've always been a cat person), but bunnies are a distinct improvement. The #1 reason bunnies are better than cats is, hands-down, that bunnies are physically incapable of vomiting. I was building something yesterday and had to cut a 2x4 around where Roo puked up a hairball on it - gross! The #2 reason is that they're practically mute, so you never have to hear them yowling their butts off for hours about how they're LITERALLY STARVING TO DEATH (even though their food bowl was JUST filled and they simply don't like what you've filled it with).

Normie's definitely dog-like, but less annoying - no barking, no slobber when he licks you (which he loves to do) and he can't jump all over you :p. I get more than enough barking from my sugar gliders and the obnoxious yippie dogs in my apartment complex!

I was desperate for a pug, but boyfriend said no at our current place (small rental, near a main road... fair enough), so I started investigating small indoor pets. Rabbits are amazing, and ridiculously overlooked as pets (as opposed to sticking them in a tiny cage outside and feeding carrot every day). They're quiet, can't vomit, easy to clean poops, litter box trained, and have such a wide range of personalities. :)

We have had both male and female rabbits that were super friendly, so it's mainly disposition over gender. We have noticed that once they are neutered that females tend to still be a little more territorial than most of the males we've lived with, but even so it's personality more than gender. commander Bun-Bun was a small bunny, less than 5 pounds and she was the bossiest rabbit and very loving, but we did live in "her" house. We now have a small male, Cosmo, that could be her identical twin in size, looks and attitude.

Back