Male and Female Bond

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lexi01

<3
Reaction score
We are FINALLY making progress on our bond with Gizmo and Billy. They are now sleeping cuddled up together and with their faces smashed together and grooming each other. But Gimzo is moody and nips at Billy when he doesn't give her attention then starting a fight.. :(. But before they instantly fought each other so this is good news!

But now that we are making progress we find that our little doe billy is not a doe at all but grew some balls and is officially a buck. Neither is neutered... what are the chances that if they bond 100% will they do it like well rabbits? Or will they be buds without the humping...?
So far no one has tried to mount anyone but billy is just creeping up on maturity and probably doesn't have hormones on high yet.

I know its a shot in the dark but just wondering if anyone else has tried?
I would love kits but I don't need 10 more bunnies right now haha

You have to get him neutered if you want to bond and don't want any babies coming about. As he becomes more mature, his instinct will be to breed. Typically it is never a good idea to keep unaltered does and bucks together, as excessive hormonal behavior can lead to irritation and fighting, which can result in serious injury. It would also be a good idea to get her spayed, as non breeding does can be more prone to developing uterine cancer, plus the hormones can make bonding more difficult or impossible. So best to just get them both fixed if you want to bond.

If you only get him neutered and don't get her spayed, be aware that he can still be fertile up to 6 weeks post surgery, so you would need to keep them separate to avoid possible pregnancy, before being able to bond. If you got her spayed as well, as long as they get along, they could be together after as long as he isn't trying to hump her and chase her, or you would have to wait at least a week or two for her to recover from surgery. That said, you need to go into it aware that though neutering/spaying surgery is most often a safe procedure when done by an experienced rabbit vet, there are always risks involved with any surgery.

If you live around SLC or Utah valley, there are low cost spay and neuter clinics that take rabbits, if you aren't able to afford the more expensive rabbit vets.

Thanks Jbun. I figured it would be like that I was just hoping some miracle happened to someone haha I'm looking for vets in the area but I might have to drive to down to Salt lake to find something (I live about 45 minutes north west of SLC) They have to be 3 months minimum for neutering correct? All of them should be old enough now except maybe Billy.

I've seen a lot of your useful posts but I didn't know you were in Utah also :D

Smaller breeds are normally mature around 3-4 months. Larger breeds can take a bit longer. It's easy to know when a buck can be neutered, of course. :p

All vets will have a different age/weight that they require for neuter/spays. Generally for males it is when their 'plums' come in. For females it just depends on the vet. And some places want the rabbit to be at least 2 lbs. The cheapest place would be SL Spay and Neuter. I had two rabbits spayed there a few years ago, and everything went fine. Not sure of the experience of their vet now. That is something you could ask if you call them. Cost is $70/80 and includes pain meds.
http://www.spayandneuterofslc.com/

If you want the best rabbit vet in the area and aren't worried about costs, Wasatch Exotics Pet Care seems to have the most experienced rabbit vet, but they are in Fort Union, so would be a bit of a drive.
http://www.wasatchexotic.com/

The one closest to you that has a recommendation from another rabbit owner, is Parrish Creek Vet Clinic in Centerville. I really don't know much else about them though.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=10108
http://parrishcreekvet.com/

Thanks everyone! Billys "plums"just came in but id rather wait until hes full grown hes about halfway there now but still small.

You guys are awesome!

Latest posts

Back