Making an NIC for large rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myia09

Reaction score
Okay, so this is a photo of how I am goign to make Chewbaccas (A small lionhead's)cage:

http://www.rabbitcondo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/4-wide.jpg

Now how do I do something similar (but obviously bigger) for my english lop who as an adult will be very large and heavy? I mean, how do I make the 2nd level sturdy enough?
Should I just make his 1 level just in case? I can't imagine such a big bun being on a 2nd level.

My bunny isn't very heavy but I still reinforced my second story with a piece of 1x1(or whatever the NIC square hole size is). I ran it underneath the length of the second story so it supports the second level NIC panels. I didn't want them sagging over time. Works great.

I have two dowel rods supporting the shelf in my cage, they're 1/2" I think. You could use two or three thicker dowel rods (I think a 1" would fit) and I think that would help support it. Most people just slide them through underneath but I zip tied mine up to the top of the hole and right under the shelf because I wanted it nice and supported.

I use a dowel rod to support a 12 lbs bunny on a platform that stretches 4 of those panels long. No problems hold her big butt up. LOL

You can also add stability by zap-stapping an extra panel (or row of panels) to the outside of the pen positioned so that the four corners of the other panels are in the center. You have the panel strapped to four other panels which stabilizes the works.

Putting an extra panel strapped underneath to the two shelf panels can help as well.

Clear as mud? Really need to take some pics. ;)

sas :bunnydance:

To stabilize upper levels of my NIC condos, I use L-brackets which are designed for putting shelves on the wall. They are cheap, normally about $1-2 each, and I put on on each seam between the NIC panels. Works like a charm, and you don't lose square footage on the bottom level from extra NIC panels.

-Dawn

Latest posts

Back