Macleod's Spinal Injury, Paralyzed in the rear end but no break?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kipcha

Reaction score
Macleod (For those of you that remember, Macleod is the bunny we picked up off a busy street about a month and a half ago) went in for his neuter yesterday and we got the call that as they were putting the IV in, he struggled in his bunny burrito and managed to somehow injure his spine. This resulted in his hind end being paralyzed. They immediately took x-rays and there was no sign of a fracture or break.

We picked him up tonight and he is worse then when we saw him yesterday, his front legs are splaying to compensate for his back and he doesn't seem to be able to urinate on his own.

My question is, how many people have had a rabbit regain mobility after something like this? I know it is possible and we are just hoping that he will be able to regan use of his legs.

941815_468160949930634_1264442885_n.jpg

I'm sorry and I'm sure this was an upsetting experience all around!

I'm assuming they've put him on antiinflammatories? It's not something I've delt with personally, but I've certainly heard of cases where they regain mobility. It's good that they did the radiographs but I think at this point it's sort of a supportive therapy and only time will tell situation.

It is definitely something we hoped we would never have to experience...

Sorry, yes, I forgot to mention he is on Metacam. He is also being fed every 3 hours (Although he is eating a bit on his own) and he's getting fluids as well, just to be sure.

It's one of those worst nightmare sorts of things for bunny owners and veterinary staff alike. It sounds like you're taking excellent care of him. I'm glad he's comfortable enough to eat on his own. I see he's on the towel in the picture, be sure he's on something absorbent enough that's changed often enough that he wont end up with urine scald. Is he capable of urinating or does he need his bladder expressed?

keep his hind legs up and under him.
Keep him in a small tightish area that will keep him upright - you can use hay to keep him there.
Puppy pee pads work well for absorption
You'll need to help him with his cecaltrophes.
Don't go messing with a diet change at this point. use a water bowl as opposed to a bottle as it just makes it easier for him to drink.
Use a full two hands if you need to move him.

best of luck getting him going again. hopefully it's just a pinched nerve that will resolve on it's own.

Completely agree with ladysown, you need to restrict his movement to prevent possible further damage and give him the best chance to recover. If you have a small carrier with a wire bottom then that would keep him from sitting in pee/poop.

I really hope he gets better, but using the above is his best chance...it just takes time and patience.

Last edited:
We brought Macleod to a second vet today for a second opinion and on her recommendation, made the very hard decision to have him euthanized. I can't hardly see the keyboard right now. I really was hopeful that we'd work through it, but when that vet saw him today and by the end of the exam she seemed to have no doubts that the best thing for him was to put him down.

He was no longer able to urinate or poop on his own, as well as showing no reaction to tests to see if there was feeling in his rear end. His rectum was loose and open with no muscle contracting to hold it closed. What we had thought was him pooping was actually just poop falling out. Despite our best efforts to keep him clean, the little urine that did manage to leak out kept soaking his underside.

We did what we truly felt was best for this little one. His quality of life would be poor and we could not put him through all of that, especially the long term effects of not being able to urinate on his own. The vet explained the likelihood of constant infections and scald, all on top of never being able to hop or binky again, is no way for a rabbit to live.

I feel just awful about all this. I stayed up with him through the night with my alarm set to every hour so I could syringe him water. We weren't able to give him a bowl as he would struggle and smack face first off it. We did our best to keep him restrained and calm, but he would still struggle and flip, even when we put him in a tightly packed carrier. You could tell he was miserable and so confused as to why this was happening.

The second vet was not even comfortable with us leaving with him, she seemed to think he was very bad off.

Rest In Peace Macleod. You were an amazing rabbit who was beyond sweet and deserved so much more then the hand you were dealt.

I am so sorry for your loss :( I know that was a difficult decision but it was the best thing for him. I'll be thinking of you and your buns.

It sounds like you made the right decision...doesn't make it any easier, but definitely right. I'm so sorry your little guy is gone. Hang on to the sweet memories and know you did everything possible. You rescued him and gave him what I am sure was an awesome experience and he went away knowing he was loved.

Last edited:
What a truly sad story and I feel for you having to make such a tough decision. I liked how you discovered him and he was so handsome, but it wasn't meant to be I guess. My condolences.

We're so sorry for your loss, but sometimes it's for the best. Of late, we had to say good bye to a couple of our elder buns and it's just not easy. We also have a hard time with the keyboard when our eyes are flowing too. Wish I had something to say to make you feel better, but even when it's right, it's never going to be easy to say goodbye to a loved bunny.

I am very sorry for your loss. I read your story, and it does sound like you gave the very kindest gift of a humane end to life, vs. suffering and pain- bless you. Again, I am so sorry for you.. it is an unexpected an unfortunate outcome.

Thank you for all the kind words.

When we went to the second vet, she was a bit confused as to the angle of the x-ray as it was taken from the side, which she said is unusual because when checking for spinal injuries you would normally go from the top as well. We weren't there when the x-rays were taken so I'm almost wondering if they were trying to hide a broken spine or something. And if they were, I would be absoloutly heartbroken to think that we kept him going and miserable where there was no hope of recovery. We haven't even gotten a call from the clinic to ask how the visit went or how Macleod's doing, so it is a big source of bitterness and grief right now. You would think that if you broke a rabbits spine, the least you could do is call and ask how he is.

We are so sorry to hear about your loss of Macleod
It sounds like you did the right thing, even though we're sure that doesn't help matters.
You put his quality of life before you wanting him to stay with you which was very strong, bit hard. Hopefully the memories you have of him will help you through this tough time,.
Binky free Macleod, you will be missed

Latest posts

Back