Macey had blood in her litterbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww poor Macey, I hope everything turns out ok... if it is anything serious, you've caught it early. Thinking of you both and sending lots of hugs and good wishes!

:hug:

xx

XxMontanaxX wrote:
She didn't use the litterbox, she pooed outside when she sits, which is uncommon.
Right there I am thinking urinary tract infection? I also just looked and blood in the urine is a cause from a urinary tract infection. Not using the litterbox really concerns me.

I hope everything is ok.

Megan

It was hard to get in focus...but can you all see that dark red area right there?

If its her scent glands...then they look like they are actually cut open and stuff, is that normal?

I don't even know if this is the source of the red urine, but its just something i noticed.

sgkb2.jpg

Nevermind, I read on the internet that sometimes scent glands get like that and you can clean them gently with a q tip.

Anyways I just wanna thank everyone for replying and helping.

I wish my dad would get home so we can talk about getting Macey spayed.

And urinary tract infection...are there any other symptoms for that?

It's hard to see what you're looking at in the picture. If it's her scent glands, they'd be to the right and left of the genitals. Sometimes they look kind of like the skin is cut open but with no bleeding, because they're like skin pockets. They can have dark crud built up in them too, which is really stinky.

If it looks like she has an injury, she really needs to go to a vet. That's a sensitive area. Do she and Keira play together? It's possible for one bunny to bite the other in the genitals, especially if Macey was mounting her head.

I hope everything's ok.

Colour variation is normal, and not a cause for concern unless it is accompanied by other, troublesome signs such as straining to urinate, fever, sudden changes in water consumption, excessive or lack of urination, or loss of litterbox habits. These signs may be indicative of such problems as urinary tract infection, sludge (hypercalcinuria) or stones (calculi).

I got this from here

Macey update:

Ok, today she was totally not normal.

When I usuaully go to her hutch, she runs back and forth thumping.

Today she just sat there. She looked like she was shaking but it wasn't that cold today. I think it's in the high 40s.

I picked her up and took her to the garage. Usually squirms some.

Today No squirmage, just sat still.

I put her down on the garage floor and she runs around exploring.

Today she just went into a corner and bunched up.

Usually she runs away from me when I go to get her because she doesn't want put up.

Today she just sat there.

Usually, Macey never ever everrefuses food. Ever!

Today, she refused lettuce, celery, pellets, and a craisin, everything. Macey failed the treat test.

I never put Keira and Macey together, since Macey usually attacks her and tries to hump her and chase her.

Today, I just wanted to see how she reacted to I put them together and Macey didn't even care. Definately not normal.

She just acts like she's weak and tired, just in the way she moves. And her water bottle didn't look like anything was drank out of it today, and her litterbox only had a little bit of stuff in it.

I called and the rabbit vet is gonna be in tommorow.

So vet tommorow!

And I wanna thank everyone for helping.

Uh oh. Give her a bowl of water, maybe she'll drink that. Is she eating or drinking anything? If not you might need to syringe food and water into her mouth. Use lukewarm or room temp water, and for food just crush some of her pellets up very finely and let them soak in water. You can get feeding syringes from the vet or many pharmacies, I think I got mine from Walmart. It was labeled for use in giving medicines to babies.

Do you have any way to keep her warm? Give her extra towels or something to cuddle in, and make a rice sock for her. Put dry rice in an old sock, tie it shut, and heat it in the microwave. It's a great heating pad.

Clean out her litter box so you can tell if/when she poops again.

:pray:

She not eating anything. I'm gonna wait a couple hours and see if she decides to eat. If nothing, then I will do that.

And I'll go get her a bowl of water ready now.

And later I'll move her into a cage into the storage closet, which is just a little colder than our room temperature, and give her some warm towels.

Thanks for the tips. :hug:

Oh gosh! Poor little girl! This is so scary. What time is your vet appointment? I wish she could make it in today! Has there been any red in her litter box?

Oh no, poor Macey, and poor you- you must be so worried!

I've got everything crossed for you both, good luck at the vets tomorrow and please keep us updated on how you get on!

Thinking of you both...

:hug1

Jen xx

Montana I am so sorry I missed this thread!

I'm definately keeping Macey in my thoughts... this kind of hits me as a urinary tract infection (my unofficial opinion) serious infections can cause higher temps which could explain why she was shivering and I know that blood in urine is common for humans (I'm not sure about rabbits) and if peeing is painful I wouldn't want to drink anything either! (you don't want to ask me how I know)

Good luck and you guys will be in my thoughts.

Poor Macey, that doesn't sound right. Hopefully it is a UTI if it has to be something. You and Macey are in my prayers. Hope to hear from you soon. :hug:

Latest posts

Back