Lunging at face

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinnieMare5

Reaction score
My neutered male rabbit is aggressive and tonight while I was outside of his play pen i leaned my face towards him through the bars. He sniffed me, then lunged at me and tried to bite my nose aggressively.

Has this happened to anyone? What can I do to make him less aggressive? I'm started to consider finding him a new home. He has a big cage plus pen connected to it, and he's well taken care of. I also let him run around my apartment when I'm home.

How long have you had him? Usually, a new bunny would do this as it is a new territory. If he's neutered and been with you awhile, not too likely, unless there is a certain smell perhaps he doesn't like, like say perfume or another bunny he's not bonded to. All I can think of at the moment.

Somethiing like this can really "turn you off" to liking your rabbit.
I had a young English spot/ hotot mix bite me so bad last year that I was frightened of him.

Everything in me tried to "objectify" the incident; he was not yet neutered

Despite my understanding of rabbit behavior I had a hard time] liking him again.

Everything in me believes that my pet is not here simply to amuse me. He has his own feelings, instincts, and life that he is entitled to; it has nothing to do with me.
Gabriel was neutered about 6 months ago. he has returned to the sweet , loving creature that he was as a baby, I am so glad that I did not act on some of my feelings.
respect your feelings but at the same time remember that your rabbit does not know that he attacked your face. He was simply being cage possessive or somply put 'behaving as a rabbit"

I don't know when he was neutered butit does take months for the hormones to diminish.
be patient with him and in the meantime don't put your face too close.

angieluv wrote:
I don't know when he was neutered butit does take months for the hormones to diminish.
be patient with him and in the meantime don't put your face too close.
:yeahthat: It can take up to 2 months for hormones to wear completely off in male buns.

He was born September 10, 2007, and I had him neutered in mid-end of December 2007. I did move his cage from my bedroom into the living room because my room mate who has a cat is gone for the week, and I didn't want Thumper waking me up every a.m if he doesn't have to. Maybe moving the cage pissed him off.

My rabbits are not free roam but have large enclosures (like dog runs shaped into different shapes)

If I move one rabbit from one side of the room to another it actually causes a stress reaction. .
Mine have gotten very used to their set-ups and like them.
I could imagine that changing the location of the cage would create diffferent sounds, temperature and odors and possibly stress him out.

he'll get used to it.

Latest posts

Back