Lucy's Hand Made Home!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy123

Reaction score
My dad and I built this cage for Lucy, and Trig will soon be able to join her! Pete and Belle have one just like it in our other room. I didn't want to put the rabbits outside, so we had to come up with something that looked nice in my room, something that the rabbs would be comfortable in, and easily accessible for me to clean. So here it is!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

LucysHome2.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions!

This looks really wonderful!! I bet Lucy loves it. She must also be a very well-behaved bunny; mine would totally chew on the carpet.

Your dad is great to help you out with this :)

Kathy

WOW! That is nice. I would love to have something like that for Tony. He would love it. He likes longer areas I've noticed. Not that he's in a cage much anymore but still that is super nice! How much did it cost to make? How did you all make it???

Looks wonderful! My Belldandy would have dug up the carpet. Looks like your bunny is very well behaved.

Hello!

I'm glad you like the cage! I had gone through many different cages, and the last one I had was the Ware Manufacture hutch with extension, and it was more bulky then anything and looked awful in my room. It was also becoming unsafe for the rabbits because they would chew on the ramp and after time I noticed the small nails poking through. So it worried me so much that they would step on them, my dad and I thought we could design our own. Which we did, and the actual wire you see, is the same wire that we took out of the Ware cage and used that.

We basically designed a "window seat" rabbit cage. It's not actually meant to be sat on however I use it to put decorations on, or just blankets/pillows. As for the flooring, your right my rabbit Lucy is very well behaved! She chews a bit here and there but not much. I personally don't believe in wire flooring because it can cause sore hocks, especially in rex's, so that is why we designed it without a bottom. In Lucy's I have carpet as you see, but in Petey and Belle's they have half carpet, and half tile flooring. Petey loves to sleep on the tile floor in the summer it's adorable! I found that the only carpet none of them will bother to chew on is any type of really short tight brand. We use cedar for wood materials, as does Ware Manufacture. I checked with my veternarian and they said it is safe if they chew it. As for measurements, they vary. For my ownrabbits, Lucy's is right around 51/2 ft long and 20in highwhere Petey and Belle is 6ft long, and28in high.

So just so you know we do sell them, however there are two differances from the one's we sell and the one's you see in the picture. The small door the rabbit can hop out of is built by hand, yet still raises up, and the color of the wire is silver versus black.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. If there are any suggestions for improvements I'm all ears!

HAHA that's funny. I know what you mean though, my rabbits Pete and Belle are preety messy, so they have one of those cat litter style boxes and they have to hop into it.

I told my other half about your fantastic hand built cage, and I asked him to build me one just like it. It would be perfect for my buns and my bedroom.

Thanks for sharing that with us :biggrin2:

Thanks! And yes that's my fish tank. It's 25-30 gallons not entirely sure, but I think the tank is more work keeping up then the rabbits lol

Hey that is a gorgeous cage, i always moaned that they dont make nice cages that look like furnature and less odd looking. Yours is perfect. You could go into business and do living room style ones, corner ones, coffee table ones that sit in the middle of the room. I am getting excited now lol xx
:)

Hi Karen!

Thanks for those ideas! So far we only sell Lucy's style you see in the picture. But those are some really good ideas. My mom liked the coffee table idea and I like the corner cage thought very much! We'll have to do some prototypes and see what happens! Thanks : )

Thats ok, would be really exciting and you have made it up so well, rabbit hutches really should be made by people who keep rabbits. :) xx Good luck, make sure you keep us updated and show us the pics, I wonder if you could do something similar for guinea pigs, as we keep ours indoors but again the cages arent so great. I suppose really all indoor animal,s rats and stuff would benefit from attractive housing xx

That is really cool! Love the idea!

I would love to have something like that for when I have my bunnies indoors...but probably with a linoleum floor for easy cleaning (especially since they don't always use their litterboxes! :p)

Emily

Back