Lucerne or oaten hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QueenMab

Reaction score
So the breeder where I got my bunny from suggests lucern hay in her information sheet while in the "Feeding Rabbits" info document that the vet gave me they say, in bold font, "not lucerne or clover as they are too high in protein and calcium"
Who to listen to?

From what I can figure out (I'm not a bunny expert) lucerne hay or as those in the US call it; alfalfa is ok for young bunnies as they're growing and need the protein and calcium for growth and bones but when they get older the levels are too high.

Toady wrote:
From what I can figure out (I'm not a bunny expert) lucerne hay or as those in the US call it; alfalfa is ok for young bunnies as they're growing and need the protein and calcium for growth and bones but when they get older the levels are too high.

Ditto. Once a bunny turns 7 months, it's time to think of gradually getting them off the lucerne, or as we in USA call alfalfa. Adult bunnies do not need alfalfa, unless they are does that are pregnant. The does need it to produce milk for the youngin's.

K :)

Back