Lucerne chaff?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlazeBunnies

Reaction score
hi everyone, my father accidentally brought Lucerne chaff and he has been using it for the piggie and rabbits. they get about 1/3 cup everyday and for 2 days they got 1 cup. is this bad for either animal? (they don't live together) i know piggies can have it if they are under 6mths but rusty is 1yr :( we have to keep using it sadly. they also get 1/2 cup of pellets, unlimited oaten hay and for 2 nights a week they just have veggies for dinner, how much chaff should i use for them? i found barley any info on if they can have it or not :cry1: if i do continue to give it to them will it hurt them? it is a 25kg bag and after this bag i will never use it again (i might even "waste" some or throw it away while he or my mother isn't looking.
thanks in advance :)

Chaff isn't necessarily bad, it's just not great. It can be quite dusty and doesn't do much for wearing down teeth or have as much fiber content as the stalk parts of hay. The fact that it's lucerne isn't great given that it should really only be given to rabbits under 6 months. That being said 1/3 cup per day isn't a great deal when they still have unlimited oaten, so I don't think you're going to have any problems at all. :) What sort of pellets do you feed, are they also lucerne based? If you have to feed the chaff and the pellets are also lucerne based, you could always cut the pellets back to 1/3 or 1/4 to compensate, but I don't think you'd need to.

I'll find out what type I'm pretty sure there Lucerne, there castlereagh feeds rabbit pellets. They don't seem to like the chaff... Most of my rabbits are under a 1 year some are 2-7....

I'll cut it back a little with pellets and stuff.

Latest posts

Back