Loved and Lost Bailey ❤️

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailey ❤️

Reaction score
Aloha from Hawaii,

New here. Joined because we recently lost our sweet Bailey due to GI stasis from suspect leaves she ate on a walk at the park (I think they were Acacia leaves) + stress from New Year’s Eve firework sounds + me not knowing how to help + not being able to get a hold of a vet on the island in time during off duty/holiday hours.

Too many factors contributed to her leaving us all too soon and utterly heartbroken She was almost five months old, a fluffy grey/white dwarf/Rex. Our first bunny, and even though we did a ton of research and prepping before even finding and adopting her at 8 weeks old, I feel one hundred percent responsible for what happened due to my own ignorance, and now I live in regret. I have not cried over a pet since my cat of eight years died suddenly over a decade ago from a heart murmur clot

I have since done more research on what I could have done on my own to help her even without being able to get to the vet, but none of that brings her back to us. My daughter is heartbroken, and we both cry incessantly over losing Bailey so soon Even my husband cried a little ~ we are all heartbroken

Joining this forum has helped me cope as I have read through a few posts the past couple of days, learning and relating.

I had no idea how deep and wide loving a bunny, even for a short period of time could open up dimensions and chambers of my heart. I think I’m taking her loss even harder than my daughter

Sending cyber hugs to all the bunny mommies and pops out there who have loved and lost a sweet bunny. ❤️

I’ve added this to Rainbow Bridge section...how do I delete the thread from Intro forum??

So sorry for your loss and don’t blame Yourself. There is so much to learn about the care of a rabbit and treating stasis is one of those things.
When someone adopts a bunny from us we teach how to take temperature and administer gas drops.
Hopefully in the beautiful state of Hawaii you can find a rabbit savvy vet.
Please consider adopting a rabbit when you feel you have grieved enough.
Please read:
Before humans die they write their Last Will and Testament, give their home and all they have, to those they leave behind. If with my paws I can do the same, this is what I would ask.
To a poor and lowly stray I'd give
-my happy home
-my bowl and cozy bed, soft pillows and all my toys
-the lap which I loved so much
-the hand that stroked my fur and the sweet voice which spoke my name
I'd will to the sad, sacred shelter bunny, the place that I had in my human's living heart of which there seemed no bounds
So when I die, please don't say "I will never have a pet again for the loss and love is all that I can stand"
Instead, go find an unloved bunny, one whose life has held no joy or hope and give my place to him/her
This is the only thing I can give...
The love I left behind.

Bailey so very sorry for your loss. Rabbits get into our hearts, don’t they? Such loving creatures. Please don’t blame yourself! Rabbits are fragile and most of us on this forum have lost a special bun. In your case it sounds like there were too many factors out of your control. You will know more for your next bunny. After you grieve I sincerely hope you and your daughter decide to get another rabbit. So many loving buns looking for a good home. In the meantime, you and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers.

I posted my condolences in your rainbow bridge thread, but I just wanted to say that this:

Before humans die they write their Last Will and Testament, give their home and all they have, to those they leave behind. If with my paws I can do the same, this is what I would ask.
To a poor and lowly stray I'd give
-my happy home
-my bowl and cozy bed, soft pillows and all my toys
-the lap which I loved so much
-the hand that stroked my fur and the sweet voice which spoke my name
I'd will to the sad, sacred shelter bunny, the place that I had in my human's living heart of which there seemed no bounds
So when I die, please don't say "I will never have a pet again for the loss and love is all that I can stand"
Instead, go find an unloved bunny, one whose life has held no joy or hope and give my place to him/her
This is the only thing I can give...
The love I left behind.

...is truly beautiful! I suspect I'll be quoting that in the future, it really just sums everything up too perfectly.

Aloha from Hawaii,

New here. Joined because we recently lost our sweet Bailey due to GI stasis from suspect leaves she ate on a walk at the park (I think they were Acacia leaves) + stress from New Year’s Eve firework sounds + me not knowing how to help + not being able to get a hold of a vet on the island in time during off duty/holiday hours.

Too many factors contributed to her leaving us all too soon and utterly heartbroken She was almost five months old, a fluffy grey/white dwarf/Rex. Our first bunny, and even though we did a ton of research and prepping before even finding and adopting her at 8 weeks old, I feel one hundred percent responsible for what happened due to my own ignorance, and now I live in regret. I have not cried over a pet since my cat of eight years died suddenly over a decade ago from a heart murmur clot

I have since done more research on what I could have done on my own to help her even without being able to get to the vet, but none of that brings her back to us. My daughter is heartbroken, and we both cry incessantly over losing Bailey so soon Even my husband cried a little ~ we are all heartbroken

Joining this forum has helped me cope as I have read through a few posts the past couple of days, learning and relating.

I had no idea how deep and wide loving a bunny, even for a short period of time could open up dimensions and chambers of my heart. I think I’m taking her loss even harder than my daughter

Sending cyber hugs to all the bunny mommies and pops out there who have loved and lost a sweet bunny. ❤️

Thank you all! I so appreciate the thoughts ❤️

We still miss Bailey oh so much!! We think of her daily, and thankful that each day does get a little easier, as we think more of our good times with her, and not as much anymore of how she died :(

I think this has a lot to do with us having a new bunny now. Her name is Hazel, and she is about 15 weeks. She will be spayed on Sunday. She is a Holland Lop, and we have been slowly bonding with her. She is quite different from Bailey in a few ways, but she is bringing sunshine into our darkened hearts.

There are times we still cry over Bailey, even while holding Hazel, especially when we first got Hazel. It’s been quite a transition, but we’re slowly getting there.

The other day, it was like Bailey sent us a little sign. In our backyard, we have a large playpen that we used to let Bailey run around in daily. We never bothered to put her litter box out there with her because we figured her waste is good for the grass and soil. Shortly after her death, we put the playpen away, and I noticed that patch of grass was bald, and it made me very sad because I had expected that patch to be more lush since Bailey ran around in there every day. So long story short, some time had passed after getting our new bun Hazel. I’d still look at that patch of grass and think of Bailey. But one morning, I noticed beautiful new grass growing on the lower part of that patch. And that morning, for the first time, I noticed the shape of the patch ~ it was a heart! ❤️ It’s like Bailey was sending us a sweet message of love.

CE501043-63D7-453F-A0C1-F2127BE972AC.jpeg

C5F87541-DD79-4F80-9FF1-E38D7B534298.jpeg

I am so sorry for your loss. Rabbits, cats, dogs, all become parts of our families, and when they pass it leaves us hurting. I cried and "mourned" the loss of my Jill Honey- a lovely Lionhead rabbit for a long time. In time; and it may take lots of time, try opening your hearts to a new member of your family. There are so many out there that needs someone to care for them. I will be thinking of you and your family.

Back