Loud breathing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sentiinex

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My rabbit Frodo has recently started to breathe noticeable louder. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes when he's just resting you can hear his breathing. It sounds a bit labored. He's also done it while sleeping once - I wasn't sure if it was snoring or not, but it's the same sound he does when he's awake. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Frodo is 9 years old and has never had this issue before. He's 100% indoors. If anyone has any ideas that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Louder like with snoring, could be a soft palate issue, which can occur as rabbits get older, and usually just happens when they nap. If it's labored, noisy, and/or faster, and happens more frequently than just when napping, particularly when hopping or running around, there are health issues like heart problems that can affect a rabbits breathing.

Medirabbit (noisy breathing in rabbits)

Thanks for the reply. It isn't faster. And it only happens once in a while when he's napping, and once this morning while he was standing still (I think he may have been dozing off, his nose wasn't twitching while breathing)

To me it sounds like a snoring issue. If it starts causing breathing issues like increased respiratory effort or mouth breathing, vet immediately. Or if you have any concerns about it affecting your buns health, always consult with a vet.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Hey, is he perhaps an outdoor rabbit? Sometimes heat can cause it and it can become heat stroke.

Latest posts

Back