Lottie has gone a bit weird

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just catching this now. I'm glad she's perking up!

I was gonna say the same thing sas said about the Kale. Also, it's high in calcium and can give them sludge if fed too much. Good ol' Romaine or Parsley would be good!;)

How is it going now? Curious to find out why your very healthy bunny took a turn for the worse (barring the vitamin defciency)..

Hoping the best and would LOVE new photos of your bun.. :D

Vet did an x-ray on her teeth and said there is nothing wrong with them, and that also where her new teeth are growing through the ridges are gone, so she is getting a good diet. She said that i should keep giving her a variety and encourage her to eat alot more hay, but i can cut back on the pellets slowly (which is good, because they cost alot!)

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

What pellets does she get? Maddie has gone off her pellets since I got a new bag, because of the weather being so bad last summer, a lot of feeds taste different and bunnies are going off them (though Ebony prefers the current pellets, Maddie tries them but just doesn't like them). Did you get a new bag lately?

Sooo pleased she's ok. :D

my vet said fresh grass is even better than hay for wearing down problem teeth because it's actually coarser! so I'm glad they found nothing wrong, and she's eating grass and other stuff!

Michaela wrote:
What pellets does she get? Maddie has gone off her pellets since I got a new bag, because of the weather being so bad last summer, a lot of feeds taste different and bunnies are going off them (though Ebony prefers the current pellets, Maddie tries them but just doesn't like them). Did you get a new bag lately?

Sooo pleased she's ok. :D
Its the same bag i've been feeding her for about 1 week. She is eating them but is being fussy. The vet has recommended i give her veggies in the morning but leave her with only pellets (and hay) overnight, so i can monitor if she is being fussy or there is actually an issue with the pellets.

I do hope that Lottie's just being a fussy girl and that it's nothing more than that. Please keep us updated.

And pics wouldn't hurt either - he he!

I:heartbeat:Lottie.

I'm keeping a check on her. She is still eating pellets slowly and hay not that much, but she eats alot of fresh grass anyway. She is gobbling up her veg so quickly! I am leaving her with only pellets and hay at night. All her pellets were gone this morning.

You mentioned giving her kale each day? is that right?

Kale has something in it that can build up in their system. Maybe you should keep that away for now? I don't know the effects and someone better informed could help more but just incase...... I'd not give it to her.

BBB, it's oxalates. They're minerals that can be bad for the liver and kidneys (I think) in large amounts, not to mention the high levels of calcium in kale. Bunnies love kale, however, so I try to feed it only occasionally. There are also other veggies like that (broccoli, cauli, kohlrabi, cabbages, mustard greens, collards, etc). I try to only pick one or two from that list when I go to the store (every week and a half or so), and probably 5-7 other varieties of greens, so that they aren't getting too much. This time the checkout lady asked me what kohlrabi tasted like, and I said something like broccoli, and then my bf had to tell her that we don't actually eat it, our bunnies do. "You buy all these greens just for your rabbits?" was what she said.:hiding:

I know you've told me oxalates before - I just always forget LOL!

I try not to buy anything like that at all most of the time and then here and there I'll give them a bit of kale or something with the higher calcium. They seem to do fine.

I just thought of it when I read the kale part.

Hmm. I will cut down on her kale then.

I know this is a bit off topic, but what should i actually be feeding her? The reason i started feeding kale was because it was cheap, i knew it was good for bunnies (although not as good as i thought) and it kept OK. I've looked up alot of feeding stuff but then don't tell you what i can feed daily. Is there anything that i can have as her 'staple' veg, something she gets every day, and supplement it with a mixture of other things? She usually gets kale as her 'main' then she gets the odd leaf of cabbage, carrot peelings if we have them for dinner, a bit of apple, cauliflower etc to supplement it, every few days. So she might get her bowl of kale, then a piece of apple one day, and the next day, her bowl of kale, and a bit of brocolli.

Is there anything i can feed her daily, every day that is good for her? Or do i need to feed her something different everyday?

Red and green leaf lettuce, romaine,parsley, cilantro, dandelion greens, carrot tops,and whatnot are all great veggies to feed on a daily basis. You'll want to stay away from gassy vegetables and veggies which contain oxalates other than small portions a few times a week. Kale is okay to feed so long as it's not the primary or only vegetable. The best thing is to offer variety - it helps keep eating veggies interesting and actually results with a higher consumption than when offered just one or two vegetables consistently.

I'm glad Lottie finished her pellets overnight and that she's hanging in. Keep us posted.

Cabbage, kale, cauliflower, broccoli are all gas producing veggies.
I would cut down on feeding these veggies .
I have never given my rabbits cabbage (fear of too much gas); I have never given broccoli either.
Focus on getting some of the veggies suggested by Alexah although I think that carrot tops are extremely high in calcium and should be fed somewhat sparingly.

Fussy Lottie! :nonono: Don't scare us like that you naughty thing.

I read grass is good for wearing down teeth too, something in it makes some sort of rough paste when it's chewed that grinds at the teeth. Lucky for me it seems to work well as I haven't been able to get hay for soo long.

Hope Lottie continues to be ok :toastingbuns

Well i will try lots of dandelion greens and get some good stuff in. We are going to buy some grow bags and grow some veggies too. We had a 5ft dandelion growing in our garden (yes 5ft! I should've taken a picture!) but my Mum hacked it down and threw it in the compost bin :X

Just an update to say that i left Lottie with no veg last night (gave it to her in the morning). I filled up her bowl with pellets and filled her hay rack. I came down this morning and only half the pellets are gone, but she has polished off an entire hay rack of hay, usually this takes her 2-3 days to finish! So i guess its better her hay is increasing even if she is still a little slow on pellets!

Latest posts

Back