Lotta Questions...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdith4him

Reaction score
Oh, my, a lot's been happening around here in the last few days...

Last week I had a massive, last-ditch effort bunny date with Nibbles and Junie. I had read a suggestion elsewhere that said you could put the bunnies together for a whole day (supervised, of course) to "force" them to relax around each other and encourage bonding. Well, it didn't work. I sat with them in the hallway for 7 hours and things ended the way they started. I've been trying with these two since mid-February and it just doesn't seem like it's going to work. Junie seems very desperate for rabbit companionship, but Nibbles strikes me as a "lone bunny" type guy. He just isn't interested in her in the least.

Anyway, hubby and I have decided to stop trying to bond the two of them. It seems to stress them out and Nibbles is now wary of us whenever we come in his pen because he thinks we're going to try to pick him up for a date! Ending the bonding process is great for Nibbles, but poor Junie still sticks her nose through the bars and lays down near where Nibbles is, if possible. I really feel like her life would be happier if she had a "hus-bunny."

We started looking around and thinking about the possibility of a third bunny for Junie (not that I would mind having another rabbit, lol!, but if Nibbles and Juine had bonded we wouldn't be thinking about #3). We found this little guy and after talking with his foster mom, he sounds great! She said he's friendly, loves being picked up and pet, and is a "jumper!" Just like our Junie, haha!

[Slight side note: The foster mom said he had met a couple other female bunnies before and had mounted them. She said that was a sign that a fight was about to start :?. I've always heard that mounting is just their way of sorting out who's dominant and is usually a good sign. Any thoughts on that??]

Ruffian
VA158.22980227-2-x.jpg

We're going to meet him (with Junie) on Thursday night. I'm excited, but there are some obvious reservations we have about getting a new bunny. We have space for him and extra veggies, pellets, and hay are relatively cheap, so that's not a problem. We are worried about traveling and how to do that with three buns (two of which would be bonded along with our lone bachelor). We don't go out of town often, but we do visit my in-laws about 3-4 times a year (they're 4 hours away). Those of you with more than one bunny (especially two unbonded bunnies), how do you manage traveling? If you take them with you, what do you set up for them to stay in? Do you leave them at home with a "bun-sitter?"

OK, that was very long. How does all this sound? Good? Not so good? Does it sound like we're biting off more than we can chew with three bunnies? Do you think it would cause problems for Nibbles with two bonded rabbits as "neighbors?" Can you think of anything that we haven't thought of or considered? We want to make sure we're thinking of everything before going ahead with this. Thanks!!

That trip would be ok as long as you have 2 carriers. It gets harder when the ride takes more than 1 day. And you can leave rabbits [with food & water] alone for 36 hours. And if you take them with you, of course your in-laws have to be ok & you have to take along everything they need, perhaps including water from home.

I agree with you about what mounting suggests. At least it means the female isn't wanting to fight. Maybe the foster parent really doesn't want to part with him. As long as Junie is neutered, I'd want to see what happened next after the mounting.

I really dont have much experience bonding. I would think that mounting is just the bun establishing dominance, it wouldnt really worry me. Circling worries me. Wishing you the best of luck and Ruffian is gorgeous!

Humping can be ok, but it really depends on how the rabbits take it. If the rabbit being humped is not fighting it or can get away, then it should be ok to let them do it. But if the humped rabbit is not ok and starts to fight or something, then it can lead to problems. Sometimes they will take turns humping and sometimes only one will do it. You do have to watch them and try to figure out the relationship so you can intervene if necessary.

You can make travel work with multiple bunnies. First, each rabbit or pair needs their own carrier. A pair should have a larger carrier so they are more comfortable. If it is a long trip, then larger carriers are can good. You don't want them to be too big as that can become dangerous, but a medium sized cat carrier is usually good. A small blanket or towel in the carrier is good as well as putting hay in. You can get dishes that attach to the door so there can be pellets and maybe water too.
You will have to take pens or cages for them and be able to separate them if needed (like put a barrier up or have them slightly away from each other). You also need towels or blankets for the pens and something water proof to protect the floor. Food and water dishes or bottles are also needed, if you use bottles make sure to have a holder or rubber bands. If they are litter trained, then take boxes and litter. Since you are staying with relatives, you should be able to do laundry there if needed, but it is still a good idea to take extra bedding just in case. You also need to bring enough hay and pellets, but veggies can usually be bought there. Taking water from home can be a good idea as well. Basically, take anything you use on a daily basis and well as things you would need for cleaning.

The number of rabbits is really up to you and what you think you can handle. While the costs are more for stuff like food and bedding, a bonded pair is not really more work than a single rabbit. Paris can live next to single rabbits without issue, but it does depend on the rabbits in involved. There will of course be work with bonding them and more work (3 cages) until they are bonded. There is always the risk that they will not get along and you end up with 3 single rabbits.

Thanks everyone :)

The in-laws are just 4 hours from here, so we can drive it in one go. We brought Nibbles with us over Thanksgiving and Christmas, before we had Junie. We haven't had a chance to go down since Christmas, but we'll be heading their way in August for 3 or 4 days. It's too long to just leave them at home with extra food.

The organization that Ruffian is from does a "Bunnymoon" where they have one of their professional bonding people take both rabbits for up to 2 weeks. So by the time we actually get him home, we'll just place the two of them in Junie's current set up. All that, of course, if things go well on Thursday night! I'll let you know how things turn out.

Well we just got back from our meeting with Ruffian...

He was SO sweet! He let us pick him up, pet him, give him treats, etc. Junie seemed interested at first, but most of their interaction was him humping her. After the first two or three mounts, she was done and just scurried away from him. He did pull some tufts of fur, too. Overall, he seemed interested in her, too, but didn't do anything like grooming or laying down with her. The foster mom seemed like she thought things hadn't gone well at all. She said she would talk to the organization's rabbit bonding expert about how things went and whether or not it looked like it could be a good match. If this other lady is willing, she will take the two buns for a "bunnymoon." It's free for us, even if the two don't end up bonding! I'm hoping she'll be willing to take them because Ruffian was really a sweetie!

Talked to the bonding expert last night...

She said everything that I've always read about initial humping between buns--they're just sorting out who's dominant. She said since neither bun was aggressive toward the other that it sounded like the two could be a good match. We're working out the details of 'when,' but she agreed to take both Junie and Ruffian and bond them next weekend! She said she does about 50 bonds a year and really sounds knowledgeable about rabbits in general.

I'm excited not only to have a friend for Junie and a new bunny for our house, but to find one that's so friendly is amazing! Can't wait to get them home :)

Latest posts

Back