Lots of Rabbits!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Numbat

Reaction score
Hi all you bunny owners with heaps of rabbits! I was just wondering how you manage so many rabbits! What's your (hutch/cage) set up? Are they all indoors or out? Are they housed together or separately? Thanks! ;)

Aww, sorry this got missed!

I have 5 rabbits- 2 pairs and one single. They are all indoor buns.

The 2 pairs downstairs have 3-level NIC cages, which look like this:

Mouse and Chalk's cage, on the left:

IMG_8094.jpg

Barney and Snowy's cage:

IMG_8093.jpg

Please excuse the mess everywhere- I think/hope I was in the middle of cleaning that day lol :shock:

Then we have Dotty upstairs who lives free-range in our bedroom and the hallway most of the day. That works well because Steve works from home a lot of the time, so she's not alone during the day, and she has us in the bedroom at night as well. Barney and Snowy don't chew cables so they stay out of their cage all night downstairs, and then for some of the morning, and Mouse and Chalk are out for most of the rest of the day. It works quite well as long as we keep track of how much playtime each pair has had lol. They used to be all 4 bonded and live together and it was so much easier, and they could all stay out all day long, but they still get a decent amount of playtime with this setup too. I think it really helps that we have them in our living room/bedroom, where we spend the most amount of time, so we're naturally around the buns for a lot of the time anyway. :)

Edit: fixed the pics!

Well me and my bf only have 4 (although everyone in our families thinks we're crazy for having so many! they should see how many some people on here have!), and they're all full-time free-range bunnies in our apartment. The 4 do not all get along, they are in two bonded pairs. So we have set up a baby gate in the hallway and draped an old towel over it so they cannot get to or see each other. We also put down a linoleum scrap under the gate and put a litterbox on each side because they like to mark the boundary of their territory. They usually can't see each other, but they can smell each other!

As for the free-range setup, we have cages for each pair that are left open all the time. Tony and Muffin have a NIC cage like Jen's bunnies, with a doggie litterbox on the bottom floor and a kitty one on the top, lots of hay racks, water bottle and bowl, food bowls, toys, etc. They spend most of their time lounging outside the cage, however, under the furniture on an old rug. Frida and Ben have one of those SuperPet cages with two litterboxes in it, food bowls, hay racks, water bottle and bowl, etc, and a towel over top. They spend most of their time snuggling on top of my suitcase that I left on the floor one day and has now become their favorite place to sit, or on a rug in the next bedroom.

At the shelter they have a really great setup for all the bunnies. It's a big wall full of cages made out of laminated wood (so you can just spray it down and the wood doesn't get damaged) with doors with bars on it. You could make it by getting a large, deep, waterproof bookcase and putting wire gate doors on it. They all get time to run outside of their cages of course as well.

I used to have more rabbits, and then I had usually a six hole stack cage and then my dad had made these cages when he raised meat rabbits that were extremly large (they were great for larger rabbits or does with litters) that there was a divider, so there was room for at least two rabbits. Then, I would put two or three single cages with trays on top of there. We also had these chicken cages that we hung with clips and bindertwine (trendy, right? LOL :p) that there was five cages and worked good if you had sitting boards since you couldnt fit in houses or anything.

Now, I only have five rabbits and my English Angora is inside so she can be groomed and stuff. My other four are in our barn, and I have the long two-hole cage for my French Lop and my Velveteen Lop, and my one Jersey Woolie buck is on top in a single cage and then my other Jersey Woolie doe is in a wooden cage that was made for me. Perfect for litters and stuff if I ever breed her again...

Latest posts

Back