Lots of confusion

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myia09

Reaction score
So, I posted awhile ago thinking I had two boys but then I saw the rabbit I bought from a breeder sexed as a male (Pinball)humping my other rabbit, a lionhead named Chewy.

I assumed she was female, but they where both young and Pinball did not drop his testicals.

Then I take Chewy into the vet, and he is seen by a vet tech to be sexed for free. She told me it was a boy.

So I kept them together. I did seeChewy humpPinball so I thought it was just dominance humping.

Then it got pretty frequent and I knew something was wrong.I realize pinball had dropped his testicals.

Chewy still has no visable tesicals and I can only assume I was right and she is a girl. It will be 35 days in 2 days since I realized Pinball had dropped his testicals and I saw him hump Chewy.

Chewy has gained tons of weight, but has made no attempt to build a nest box (She just tears it up)

I called the vet place, but apparently it will cost$75 to sex her again (JUST for sexing, which I can wait to do to take her into getting fixed for free), and I have visually sexed her myself and I am sure she is a female. I got her from a petstore so I don't know of her age (They told me 2 months), but I have had her for 3-4 months. She wasn't a baby when we got her, but still young so I think she is about 6-7 months. So I think I would see testicals by now.

I really don't think there isn't a chance she is pregnant, unless pinball is sterile which I heard for netherland dwarfs is common. I guess I will wait another week but I am worried and just looking for advice. If she does not give birth in two weeks, I am taking her in to get spayed.

Second, the vet told me I should not have had males together anyways becaue they will fight. Is this true? Can same sex not be together?

Sorry for all the questions.

Two unneutered boys will very likely fight. I would not keep ANY bunnies, fixed or not, together until I am positive they are friendly and in each other's good graces. They can seriosuly bite and hurt each other if unattended and left to fend for themselves. If even one is aggressive you could have yourself a bloody time if a fight breaks out. You can read teh section in the library about bonding. It is often a long, testing process.

I wouldn't take the chance at this point because you are not even sure of Chewy's sex yet. If she does turn out to be a girl and becomes preggers, you could have yourself a complicated time. It is better to separate them asap.

Males can hold their testicle inside. The way to find out is to pop the penis out. Its not hard. Just flip the bun and push down right in front of his pee spot to retract the skin. A penis will pop out in a boy and the vulva will be seen in a girl.

The vet is probably correct that its a boy. Someone who knows how to pop a bun is rarely wrong, unless it a very young rabbit who's penis doesnt come out yet.

Yes rabbits are solitary animals and a lot of caution has to be taken before they can be placed together and some buns just wont ever tolerate company.

Rabbits are capable of inflicting fatal harm on each other if they refuse the company.

Even intact males and females can be risky as female can and sometimes do castrate males if they are not wanting to breed.

I knew a breeder who took some rabbits to a vet to sex them since she was having a difficult time with this particular litter at this age (and she'd bred for a long time).

She paid $60 to have the four rabbits sexed - only to find out 3 weeks later that the vet was WRONG on every one of them....

I've had intact brothers that lived together fine till they hit puberty and then WOW...they would attack each other. Even after neutering (they were Netherland dwarfs also) - they still attacked each other if they had playtime at the same time.

They have been seperated...but they love each other so I sit there cages usually side by side. When I take them out for seperate playtime all they do is sit by the others cage and groom them oustide the cage..its pretty heartbreaking..
Well I went to a breeder and she demonstarted female/male and Chewy is def a female. But I noticed her opening is also red..
Is this a sign of pregnancy? Is something wrong? I remember it just being pink.

Latest posts

Back