Lost another baby

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomorrow264

Reaction score
They are two and a half weeks old and are able to get out of the nest. Everyone was fine and running around when the family and I left to go to dinner at 630 and when we returned at 10 one of the babies was just laying on the bottom of the cage. My son picked it up and said he thought it was dead. He handed it to me and it was barely breathing and unresponsive. Within 30 min it was dead. I'm so heart broken and what makes it worst is I don't know why it died. It looks fine. It did get into moms veggies this morning but I took them away as soon as I noticed the babies going after it. Could that have caused this? They have been chasing her around the cage maybe when she was trying to get away maybe she kicked it or hopped on it.

I have found with babies, that as long as mom has been eating it while nursing, then the babies are fine to eat it too. I have always fed veggies to my foster babies. They would start by just having a bit of mom's. Unless the baby had runny poops, I doubt it was the veggies.

Many times, babies will just fade or suddenly die. It was most likely something that was genetically wrong with him, and just took a couple weeks to manifest.

It could have been he was trying to nurse from mom and got stepped on in the wrong way too.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost this little one, and hopefully the rest will grow up healthy and strong.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back