lost 2 litters.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnytopia

Reaction score
This will be a long post as its going back to when we first got our french doe butter.

We brought ourbutter off a couple who were desperate to get rid of her as apparently she attacked another one of their other rabbits so bad it nearly died but as we have got more experienced with frenchies wehave our doubts (plus we bred her with another frenchie and there wasnt any fight).webrought her to be a house rabbit as that is what she was with the other couple, we got her home and give her a couple of days to get used to us as afamily and the new surroundings she was in, then we begun to work with her more and more butafter acouple of months she still wasnt settled and to be fair on her we put her in a hutch outside where she became a real lovely rabbit with my husband but real grumpy and aggressive towards me. me and hubby had a long chat about her and realised that she may have been abusedby her last owners as when we went to get her she was hiding behind the sofa and the owner dragged her out by her ears and never spoke very nicely about her, she also has what looks like a great big chunk of ear missing they said she was in a fight but we think it involved scissors and an adultfemale as she wasnice to hubby and even our children it was just me she didnt like me! we had to bring her home with us because it would of been cruel to leave her in that house any longer!

with a lot of work, patience and an outdoor hutch she became lovely even toward me, so we thought we would give her the chance to become a mommy, she lost her first litter which we were sort of expecting after reading that 1st timers often lose their litters, so we gave her some time and tried again but today we have had another dead baby and what looks like a brain in her hutch, she had built a perfect nest andcould ofstripped herself baldif she was smaller bunto keep her babies warm, she wasnt due until 2mora but 1 day early isnt much really. could any one shed any light on why she could of lost this second litterand if it would be worth another go at giving her the chance of being a mommy?she is roughly 2 and half yrsis that too old for a frenchie?

sorry if its a confusing read but i was typing as i thought about her sad life!

Sam:tears2:

im samanthas sister n id just like 2 add that the thing that lukt like a brain definately wasnt placenta a few of our does hav left plcenta b4 but this was nufink like it

nikki

Did she ever have litters at her first home? That's really old for her first litter, and that might be causing some problems. I don't know much about breeding,though.

If you do decide to breed her again, you might want to take her to avet for a checkup first. She might have a health problem that is making it difficult for her to have live babies.

It was most likely a placenta in the cage -- fatis sometimes attached that may make them appear different in appearance. Occasionally a doe may have a tiny undeveloped fetus still in theamniotic sac.

A fetal brain is very tiny and lacks much substance -- it's not likely that you'd find an intact one in the cage.

Pam

Latest posts

Back