Losing weight/not jumping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimmerre

Reaction score
Please help! I don't have much time! About two months ago I switched her food slowly and she was eating just fine. Last week she attempted to jump into her cage (same cage she's been jumping in for 5.5 years) and fell backwards. I then moved her cage onto the floor, realizing that maybe she was having joint issues or in pain because she's never had a problem jumping in her cage before. She also struggled jumping up to her sleeping area.

Two nights ago I pet her back and her backbone and hips are sticking out. My guess is she's lost at least a pound within a week.

She's still eating her veggies daily along with her hay. She doesn't seem interested in either brand of pellets. She's drinking water, peeing and pooping, but her poops are teeny tiny little pellets.

Besides her food being changed in the last couple months, nothing else has been changed.

She now has a 6'x8' area to call hers instead of her multi-level cage that I made last night.

She was diagnosed with Snuffles as a baby.

Recap: 5.5 years old Lionhead, female, spayed, has snuffles that has recently gotten worse, lost weight, possible joint pain? & no longer able to jump.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm not sure if she's just rapidly showing signs of old age or if there is another issue. Is Snuffles killing her? If the weight loss continues, I honestly don't see her surviving much longer.

Any tips you have are appreciated!

bun bun.jpg

Last edited:
I'm literally going through the same thing with my 6 year old holland lop!
Someone told that it way just her old age. Also this time of year the rabbits are molting and are experiencing will block.
Does the food have enough of what she needs?

~Breeding Quality Holland Lops Since 2012~

Your rabbit needs to be seen by a vet right away. Due to her older age, along with her not eating her pellets, weight loss, and weakened condition, I would suspect she may have dental problems. She will need a thorough dental exam(including the back molars), and you may also need xrays done to check for elongated roots or infected teeth. If no dental problems are found, you may also need a blood test done to see if the weight loss is due to another health issue like kidney disease.
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/weightloss.shtml

If it is dental problems and you haven't been able to keep track of how much hay she eats each day, she may also not be eating the hay very well, and this would further contribute to weight loss. In the meantime, you can try soaking her pellets in warm water to soften them and see if that makes it easier for her to eat them. If not you may need to end up syringe feeding until you are able to get this sorted and she is eating better on her own. When you see the vet they can sell you a syringe feeding mix called Oxbow Critical Care. You can get it cheaper online as well.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KSOIJG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's important to get her to a vet asap as well as supplementing her feeding to stop the weight loss. The vet should also give you some pain meds,usually metacam, which should help as there is likely pain causing the lack of appetite. If you don't already have a vet, make sure to try and find a rabbit savvy one.
http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your comments, but unfortunately Bun Bun passed away sometime through the night. She lived a good life, she had our living room as her cage and ran around every day, and she had a cat and two dogs as her best buds. It was a hard day today, my one dog tried to wake Bun Bun up and my dog cried when I took her away. She's buried in the backyard now, I'm going to get a little rabbit cement statue tomorrow to mark her grave. RIP Bun Bun.

Back