Losing my job...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexyRex

Reaction score
Well, I am now a casualty of the crappy economy!! I'm getting laid off at the end of the month. I'm trying to turn a negative into a positive (looking into going back to school since a job offer isn't likely!) but I have no idea where to go to find out what type of assistance I can get to go back. Someone told me that you get some type of special benefit along with your unemployment if you go back to school, but I don't know. All I know is that, thankfully, my unemployment benefits will pay my bills until I find something and that all my "kids" will be taken care of. The buns won't be getting veggies nearly as often as they do now, but all of us in my house are going to need to sacrifice to get through!!

I really think that I'm going to be okay...but good thoughts please?? It's still a kick in the gut to know I'm going to be unemployed, I've been working since I was 15 :nerves1

I'm so sorry :( But I think the way you are looking at it is good because you're right in that opportunities come in the strangest places.

I don't know where you go to find out info about benefits though, but hopefully someone else will. Good to know your unemployment money will cover the majority of your finances, that must be a big phew!

God it is horrible to lose a job, I just hope this going back to school idea works for you, It must be terribly hard seeing as this will brake an old routine of getting up and getting ready to work.

how horrible, but i am glad to hear that your unemployment benefits will at least cover your bills. My brother in law has been laid off for 8 months already and has to go for another extension, he has had no luck getting a job, but hopefully it will get better soon. Good luck

Good luck to you with your job search.

People are really having a hard time of it lately finding employment and getting laid off. I would imagine the people at the state employment agency would know about extra benefits for taking up classes again during unemployment?

I'm so sorry :(
Uhm , idk what kind of neighbor hood you live in but have you thought of childcare (by neighborhood i ment if you live in the middle of no where it wouldn't help very much). I have two cousins that do it and they rake in about 3,000-4,000 a month.

I don't know if this makes you feel any better, but maybe hearing that someone went through worse, and came out better...maybe it'll help?

My husband and I had our own Electrical Contracting company in California since July of 2004, and it was very much our baby. We worked like mad to get it going, since we had to start it completely cold, without any sort of financial cushion at all.

Fast forward to last September. We weren't getting enough work, and couldn't pay the rent, and had to find another place to live. Since it happened so quickly (and our landlord was a jerk that threatened violence if we didn't leave ASAP, and with having a child, we weren't taking the chance, so we had to leave quickly), we wound up staying at a motel...we thought temporarily.

One month passed...still not enough work...no way for me to go to work, since I would be making about a quarter of what my husband could bring in and it definitely wouldn't be enough.

Two months passed...we're wondering what the heck's going on, but still hangin' on and having hope that it would pass.

Three months, and we're at the point of just trying to eat everyday, and trying to survive the time period. We were spending so much energy just trying to survive, we weren't thinking thoroughly enough of the situation and how to get out.

Seven months passed...and any and all ways to get money dried up (unless we wanted to break the law somehow...and that was out of the question, of course) and there was NO work at all...not even the little dribbles that had been getting us through this time period.

Through all of this, we had to house our buns outside, and though we protected their cages as best as we could, we still lost six of them (all due to heart attacks, four due to heart attacks from a dog attack). We also lost all of the belongings we didn't have with us there in the motel room, since everything we owned (furniture, appliances, sentimental things) was in storage, and we didn't have any ability to pay the bill.

We finally realized...this wasn't working and we didn't have any indicators things would change anytime in the near future. We'd gotten to the point where we had to get our daughter food, and then not eat ourselves, because we just didn't have the funds to do anything else.

So, we sat down and talked it over...and realized we had one last option...to move out of the state or the country and start over. We realized that the economy in CA had gotten so bad, we were stuck in a complete financial meltdown rut, and wouldn't get out unless we left altogether. It was then that we decided to move to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada...where yes, things had slowed a bit in other areas, but were still progressing in Danny's field. Not to mention, Danny's dad lived there, and we had a chance to live with someone who would be able to help us financially, and be willing to help us with food, etc. So, we borrowed the money, packed all of our things into a trailer, and the animals in the SUV, and drove up.

We've been living here since mid-May, and things are going MUCH better. Danny got temporary labor work to start off with, making $11/hr, and just recently got offered a job where he'd been doing temp work that earns over twice that amount...so things are progressing. He's not doing electrical right now, because here in Canada, you have to get certifications in various stages of being an Electrician, and it costs money to take the classes to get those certs. BUT...the job he has is paying for him to make that progress, so he'll be able to get back to the profession he loves soon. The point is...we're working our way up and surviving. We live with family who loves us and is helping tremendously, and now are making our own money to pay our own way. :)

I'm thankful for everything that happened, because it led to us being here and improving our lives drastically...but I'm still sad that we had to lose so much and so many to be here. I miss our babies...but I know they're proud of us and happy that we're finally thriving.

All that to say...thankfully, you're not going through what we did...and you can see a situation where someone went through worse, and still was able to come through it better than they were before it happened. :)

Things will get better...just keep on truckin' on through this time period. It sounds like you're already on the right path...just keep persevering! :)

Hugs to you and yours,

Rosie*

I had that happen to me before and remember how much it hurt and how worried I was. At that time I had 3 kids I was raising by myself and no backup money saved. It is so very stressful. I will keep you in my prayers and my thoughts. After losing my job I prayed for something perfect to come along and it did! I got a better job, better hours, same pay and met my fiance there and now have my baby girl all because of being let go/ laid off. Maybe your situation will be a blessing in disguise also! Think positive and remember God never gives us more than we can handle! Chin up.

Will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. My hubby just went through that but luckily he got work again quickly. June 12th his boss tells him his job is safe. June 19th he's laid off. Luckily he has a class A CDL (truck driver's license). So for him with having a clean record and that license getting another job was pretty quick. He got a dedicated route with a very large company so hopefully we'll be ok and not have to go through this again. Only downside is that our house after a year still hasn't sold and if it sells now I will have to move without him for about 4 to 6 months till he can transfer, but that's a small thing.

Times are tough all over. Last year I lost a job that I had for over eight years. I really loved that job. I wasn't laid off, I was terminated because I couldn't deal with my supervisor. It got so bad I would come in late for work and then get my butt chewed out for being late. Anyway,it's been a long 14 months. I'm on the brink of bankruptcy and foreclosure. I'm at least working but it is part-time and the hours vary. Parents do help me but it is difficult for them as they are retired.

Unemployment will help with paying for school.

I just keep telling myself that things will get better. I just wonder when.

I am so sorry.

I have been in school a while now and do all my own paper work for my loans. In order to see if you qualify for a grant or what type of loans you qualify for you need to fill out the FAFSA form. The school you decide to go to will then help you decide what you qualify for depending on the results of the FAFSA. Here is the website, you can fill the form out online http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Also when you speak with the school financial aid department ask about any scholarships they have. You can also search online for different grants and scholarships through other organizations.

If you need any help with any of that I would be happy to help you. Once you fill out the FAFSA form the school will also be able to give you a lot of information, but first they have to know what bracket the government puts you in.

Good luck

my thoughts are with you for this, i know my company that I presently work for is hiring, but that's only the Glens Falls plant. For me it's work and I'm the only one living in NY still that has a job.
My dad got laid off back in march and had to move states just to get a job(Ny is right behind CA I think), my brother got laid off his job, and my mom just got terminated(after 19 years in the same place and she was the assitant manager) because she didn't get along with the supervisor and the supervisor knew we were moving so mom got it instead of the other person. It's going to be fun for me, since i work 3rd shift.

Back