Losing fur on head...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tohkie

Reaction score
Born April 27, 2012
Sex: male
Neutered around mid Sept 2012
Netherland dwarf.

Why is he losing fur??
2ljrn77.jpg

I was supposed to get him to the vet today, but it was so cold, I didn't wanna take him outside. I'm hoping its just a molt, but why only the head?...

Without reviewing the others responses, my first instinct was that he was molting into a different shade. Good luck!

OK so its pretty obvious he's molting. His back has a little baldish spot on it too. Does that mean my rabbit is gonna be a darker grey now?
And how do I manage all this fur coming off???

I always find the easiest way is to pluck the hair gently! It's easier and more effective than brushing. You can usually tell which clumps are ready to come out cuz they stand out a bit differently from the rest. I just pluck until Cassie gets irritated with me, give her a treat and a head scratch, then leave her be for a while. Once or twice a day until it's over! Leave the chest/butt/feet/tummy up to them, though. I usually just drop the hair in one spot on the floor and wad it all up and throw it away when I'm done. Keeps her from ingesting a lot of it too re: hair impactions in the gut.

Back