Lop breeders - what importance is placed on ear control?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZminilops

Reaction score
I have the opertunity to perchase a 10 week old blue minilop (nz/uk type) doe for only $10. She is to show parentage but nobody wants to buy her because she has fly away ears. Sometimes they are down, sometimes one is up, sometimes both are sideways. Is this a dominant thing and is it most likely to be passed onto kits if she was to be bred from? If the buck has excellently hung ears would that combat it, or should she just not be bred from at all? The kits would not be for show. I realise it could be irresponsible to further this uppy-eared trait but I just got so excited at the cheapness and to get a blue doe here is really hard. Her parents are both very good type for the breed.

24478032_full.jpg

dsc01231.jpg

dsc01232.jpg

dsc01233.jpg

Wow, there are a good number of blue does here. I think they are so pretty. My first bun Muemmel was a blue dwarf.

The more sticking up ears are the more dominant. If she would have kits with really good floppy eared guy the ears would most likely flop well.

Susi has one pointy and one flyaway ear. But she can put both up. Her kitshad 3 x floppy ears and one the same she has (Emily), Emilys ears could still flop though, shes young..So actually theres no guarantee for the ears, but if her parents have floppy ears theres a good chance the kits will have them too.

just make sure the buck has a forward, and large crown. i think the problem with the little doe is that her crown is 'slipped' or placed to far back on the head, causing ear control.

you will get a few babies with ear control, but as long as the buck is nice, you should get some nice crowns out of it.

if you aren't apposed to line breeding you could takethe best doebaby out of her and breed it back to the father. this would reinforce his good trait in the crown/ear department.

katie

Thank you mummel and katt :D.

In the end I didn't get her, we had one bad thing after another happen this weekend, and after thinking about it I can't live with myself knowingly producing more animals into a world that doesn't seem to know how to take care of them. Instead I think I may adopt some desexed rabbits from the SPCA and try and do my bit to help instead of adding to the problem. The seller was very p-o'd at me and I felt awefull, but she has a lot more people interested so she will go to a good home.

Latest posts

Back