loosing hair?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baska

Reaction score
Just recently my lil Jack has kind of beenloosing hair...Shedding, (I'm assuming), is normal...but he is almostbalding. I tried to see if he had mites in his hair, but didn't seeany. I started giving him some vitamins, still waiting to seeif that helps. I've been brushing him just to help him outsince he seems to itch. I've noticed like dandruff(?) so I'mwondering if it's not just dry skin. Anyone else have/hadthat probelm before? He's not in the least bit actingsick...he's more rambunctious than ever! Any suggestions?

~Karly~

Hi Karly,

it sounds like you rabbit has Fur-Mites. They cannot be seen with thenaked eye. You will see what appears to be dandruff on the ends of thefur which easily pulls out. This can be treated with Ivermectine[Zimectrine] Horse Paste Wormer. It can be purchased in a feed storeand at some Wal-Mats. It comes in what looks like a large plasticsyringe. Just give a droplet the size of a Green-Pea to the rabbit.Repeat treatment in 7 to ten days to get any hatchlings. You can feedit directly to the rabbit on the end of a twig or rub it on the frontpaws. The rabbit will eat it as it cleans itself. If you think itdidn't eat all of it you can give abit more. I have never heard ofanyone having a problem with this medication. You can also rubListerine Mouthwash into the affected area. as a treatment. I hope thishelps.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Hello Alexandra,

Not a problem, your rabbit is going into Molt. This is a naturaloccurrence.I would brush your rabbit on a regularbasis to remove as much loose fur as you can without hurting therabbit. Be sure to provide ample amounts of Grasshay at least threetimes a week if not more often.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Thanks much, I'll deffinatly go get some wormingpaste...hehe I'm pretty familiar with that, I've had horsesbefore...it's going to be alot easier to give it to a bun than a horse:)

~Karly~

Thank you, Dennis, for your answer!

I am brushing him almost every day and he is eating hay daily.

I was afraid of being something pathologic. He is loosing his fur likethis for 2 weeks. And......................how much fur can loose arabbit anyway????:?

Alexandra

Alexandra,

the rabbit will eventually lose it's whole old coat which is beingreplaced by a new one as the Molt is taking place. So, he can lose awhole lot of Hare! Hee,Hee, I mean hair/fur. Heyaha. Just keepproviding Grasshay. You should see Cling-ons on the cage-wire floor.clean thes from ther floor-wire within twenty-four hours to helpprevent Coccidiosis. Cling-ons are a good sign. That means that thelog-fiber [Grasshay] is doing it's job. Moving the fur through thedigestive tract and out.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Latest posts

Back