Loosing a doe??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
I don't plan on breeding, but I always see on websites that does have a high risk of some complication during pregnancy, eg- die during delivery, die due to back injury, problems during birth, but has anyone ever primarily had this issue? I was jsut wondering if this is true, or just a deterant (sp?) not to breed?

I've never had it happen to me personally, but I've had a friend whose doe died delivering kits... she had a stuck kit. I've also heard several times (on another forum) of does dying after kindling due to ketosis (pregnancy toxemia).

Unfortunately, these things are true and not made up asa deterrant... it is a fact of breeding that does happen.

Stress can also cause a doe to absorb her litter... which sometimes does not happen completely. Instead she'll end up with a mummified kit inside which can hinder future litters and if an infection sets in, could also result in her demise.I'veseen necropsy pictures of a fellow breeder's doe who this happened to.

Yes - I lost a doe this fall and it was very hard on me. At the time, we had issues going on with our food(it turned out something was wrong with the food and it was poisoning the rabbits) so I don't know how much of it was due to that.

But she had her kits and then continued bleeding. The vet called a local vet for me to get oxytocin and give her a shot - I did and she delivered her last kit. However....apparently she got infection and died 2 days later. It broke my heart - she didn't deserve that (not that any ever do).

We aren't sure if the feed problems weakened her system or not...we finally figured out shortly after wards that the food was the issue (we looked at the location of rabbits that were sick....bloodlines, new toys, possible paint that was bad that they could have chewed on - etc.etc. etc. What was keeping them alive was that I was adding oats and some other supplement to the fod....

Anyway - yes it can happen. I think there are usually more problems with:

a. smaller rabbits having babies

b. smaller does that were mated with bigger bucks

c. rabbits that have only a couple of babies and they're bigger than normal

and maybe first time moms?

Peg

Thank you very much for it. Sometimes I read things that seem to just be repeating and I dont' know if it's just someone saying it, then someone repeating it, then someone repeating it over adn over. Thanks any wyas :).

I lost a doe after birth once. The stress from having the babies caused her to go into GI Stasis, and by the time I figured it out it was too late, and after a few days of force feeding she ended up passing away. Know that I know more about GI Stasis, I think she may have been showing signs of GI problems way before she had the babies and I should of treated it before breeding her.

After this experience, I did a lot of research, and read a bunch of books and websites so I could be prepared. I know have a rabbit savvy vet, and understand how important it is to take a rabbit in asap.

I think that the majority of rabbit deaths due to birth happen in similar circumstances to mine. The breeder is just not educated enough to make the safest choices for their rabbits.Not saying that all deaths are due to lack of education, there is still a lot of risk involved, and even the most experienced breeder can lose a doe for unexpected reasons.

--Dawn

I have been raising rabbits for 15 years and have only lost a few does. I have also spent a lot of money saving their lives. Recently, I had a dutch doe that was in labor and was having trouble kindling. She was like this fora couple of hours and I rushed her to the vet. They told me that one baby was too big and was stuck in the birth canal.She would die soon if they didn't do anything. They needed to do a c-section. She had 4 babies and only one survived. She also had to be spayed because her insides were literally falling apart.

I do not feel that lack of education plays a major role in why does die. I feel that the majority of rabbit deaths are genetic. Either the mother has too small of a birth canal. Does that are pinched in the hind end (narrow) tend to have complications during birth. Also, the age of the anima plays a role. Babies that are too big may get stuck in the canal and if not removed, will cause pregnancy toximia (sp.).I have also heard of rabbits having heart attacks will kindling.

Sharon

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
Babies that are too big may get stuck in the canal and if not removed, will cause pregnancy toximia (sp.).
Actually, pregnancy toxemia is caused by excess fat cells in the liver....

Excerpt from Rabbit Production, Eighth Edition, Pages 226-227:

Quote:

This condition, also called ketosis, occurs much more often in some rabbitries than others. Female rabbits suddenly die shortly before or shortly after kindling. On post-mortem examination,the most obvious lesion is a yellow or tan liver caused by an accumulation of fat in the liver cells. This infiltrating fat interferes with the normal mtabolic processes of the liver and the breakdown of the fat into metabolizable energy. The result is the formation of keton bodies from the unmetabolized fat - thus, the name"ketosis." The exact cause of this disease has never been found,but the feeding of high energy diets may be involved.

An affected doe gradually reduces or stops feed intake. In some cases of pregnancy toxemia, a hairball is found in the stomach. This may cause the doe to go off feed, but the body still requires energy for maintenance. Fat is taken from fat deposits and transported to the liver to be converted to metabolizable energy, but not all the fat is utilized. Treatment for this disease is seldom attempted, as the diagnosis is generally not made until a post-mortem examination.Injections of glucose have been found to be helpful in cattle with similar disease.
This is the reason forNOT breeding overweight doe's ordoe's with excess fat or flab,their risk for ketosis is greatly increased.

I think that all breeders can agree that no matter why a breeder loses a doe - it is sad and makes you a better breeder in the long run if you learn from it.

I was willing to rush my doe to my vet (70 miles away one way) but both the vets were on their way out of town to a conference and he felt it would be too stressful to her anyway if I was willing to give her the shot he prescribed. I talked to him after she died and asked what I did wrong - why didn't I catch the infection earlier,etc. But I had been giving her stuff in case of infection too! Anwyay, he said that sometimes you just can't save a rabbit no matter how much you try and he assured me that I did all that he would have told me to do.

It still hurts though to lose a rabbit. I'm attached to each of my rabbits almost as if they were my pets.

Peg

Latest posts

Back