looks like i might have to seperate Sooty and Belle

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmyzoocrew

Reaction score
well a little while ago i had concerns with Belle mounting Sooty and bitting him, and when he goes to move she would nip at him, well it hasnt gotten any better. I have no doubt that they are bonded and they love each other but i cant keep letting her do this to him, last thing i want is some kind of infection becasue of the cuts on his back. Do you think this could be a temporary thing, or is this going to be permanent?

Right now i am going to try to use the squirt bottle every time i see her doing that, and keeping them seperate when i am not around and at night, but letting them be together durning the day and see if it helps,if not they are going to have to be seperated completely. If it comes to seperating them do you think i should wait a month and then try them back together again? this just seems like iam going to have to rebond them all over again and there will be the whole dominace thing again, what do i do?????????? i am so upset i know that they really love each other but she is jut being a __________ <insert word there.

i disassembled his cage so i am going to just basically keep him in a pen with some grids attatched to Belles cage. ANy other suggestions? any suggestions on what i am doing and am planning to do ? :(

How long have they been bonded? Is Belle the dominant one? Did she ever mount him before...like when they were first bonding? How did you handle it then?

Sorry for all of the questions. I am in the process of bonding Thumper and Peaches and all Thumper ever wanted was to mount Peaches which would turn out into a scuffle. Well, I was told to let him mount her (for 10-20 secs) while I pet and talked to her then get him off. Well, I did this and now the mounting is non-existent. Guess he just had to get it out of his system.

Sorry if I'm not much help, just wanted to give you some of my experience.

Good Luck!

How long have they been bonded?I started bonding in August, i think, and it went pretty good after a bit

Is Belle the dominant one?Did she ever mount him before...like when they were first bonding? How did you handle it then?Well that is funny i think i didnt wait long enough after his nueter because he humped her till no end. After about a month Belle started to do the humping, and sooty, for the most part ,was and is ok with it. He is very submissive and i have tried to let her then push her off but usually after the 20 secs or so he hops away, with a chunk of hair missing too.

Sorry for all of the questions. I am in the process of bonding Thumper and Peaches and all Thumper ever wanted was to mount Peaches which would turn out into a scuffle. Well, I was told to let him mount her (for 10-20 secs) while I pet and talked to her then get him off. Well, I did this and now the mounting is non-existent. Guess he just had to get it out of his system. I have tried that and it just doesnt seem to help, she gets mad and then gets aggressive with me,lol. i hope with a little seperation of the couple that it will help or with supervised visits with each other , i dont know i have to let his hair grow back before i let her see him again.

They are so sad

Roxie used to do this. It is normally temporary but I know some rabbits mount eachother once in awhile.

When Roxie would do this to Buddy, I would ignore her. How does Sooty respond when Belle mounts him? Is he just like "I don't care" and tries to just kind of get her off or is he like "GET HER OFF OF ME!"

If Sooty doesn't care that much, I would say to leave Belle on her and she will probably get bored. After awhile when I did this with Roxie, she just stopped.

Have you ever seen any cuts or anything that is bad on Sooty's back? I would say just to watch them so that it doesn't become something even more serious but otherwise let Belle mount Sooty.

I hope everthing works out!

:goodluck Megan

<<How does Sooty respond when Belle mounts him? Is he just like "I don't care" and tries to just kind of get her off or is he like "GET HER OFF OF ME!" He is kind of like i dont care get off, what happens is he just hops away from her but when he hops she still has his hair in her mouth :shock:

If Sooty doesn't care that much, I would say to leave Belle on her and she will probably get bored. After awhile when I did this with Roxie, she just stopped.

Have you ever seen any cuts or anything that is bad on Sooty's back? I would say just to watch them so that it doesn't become something even more serious but otherwise let Belle mount Sooty.
well he does have some cuts on his back , i have been putting neosporine on him until it heals.
I hope everthing works out!

:goodluck Megan

Well i have decided , after much stress, to leave them and sit there all day and watch them,lol, with a squirt bottle. When she mounts i will squirt, and let me tell you she doesnt like it very much but it is enough to get her to move onto something else,lol. I will let them out in the morning and when she goes in for her normal morning snooze i will lock him out in the run and put the neosporine on and wait a few hours till it is absorbed and dried. Then when they are out i will squirt till my hearts content until she "gets it",lol just kidding only when she mounts him relentlessly. They love each other,lol like i know, and he is really LAID BACK, blah and doesnt mind at all but i still need her to know that she cant eat him alive.

Sooty is an abused husbun :shock: :biggrin2:he needs a support group any other abused husbuns out there?

well i have been vigilant on squirting her little humpy but when she does it,lol, she doesnt like it. I checked Sottys back and the hair is growing back where she trimmed it really short and the scabs are almost gone so i am thinking that i will try this for a while and see if she just amuses herself another way, and see if i can stop sqiurting her. I dont mind the occasional mounting but she was getting crazy about it.

If this doesnt work then a trial seperation, with close observation on the both of them, for them for about two months and then try them back together again, but hopefully she gives up eating him. I am trying to avoid seperating them at all cost as to not completely breaking the bond.

Thanks for asking about them.

It is a lot of work on our behalf to get these buns to get along. I hope things get better and that their bond does not break completely.

Let us know how things are going.:hug:

Latest posts

Back