Looking for a Rabbit Veterinarian

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score
When looking for a veterinarian, it's a good idea to check with other rabbit pet owners in the area, a 4-H group, a local breeder for suggestions, or just word-of-mouth. You can look through the Yellow Pages or the internet for a list of vets near you. The House Rabbit Society's list of recommended vets as well.

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/PB_vets.html

Don't be afraid to ask questions. You deserve to be treated with courtesy and patience, and if you're not, you might think twice on how they'd treat your rabbit if they'd treat you that way.

As with everything, you have your good and bad. Some vets are good, some are not. Take time to research and interview before an emergency comes up.Some of the questions I've asked, I already know the answer to, but I want to see what the vet says about it just to test them a bit on the "small stuff". Here as some examples.

Everyone please participate with questions you feel relevant.

-Carolyn

- How many rabbits do they treat each week?
- How long have they been in practice and treating rabbits?
- What are the common ailments rabbits are treated for at their hospital?
- Have they treated for G.I. Statis, e.cuniculi, Pasteurella, tumors, abscesses, fly strike??
- How do they close incisions?
- Do they spay and/or neuter rabbits at their hospital?

- Knowing how stress can be deadly for a rabbit, what accommodations are made for rabbits? (My animal hospital has a room just for small exotic animals, away from all the cats and dogs.)
- Do they recommend stopping feed on the night before a surgery. (Answer should be no.)
- What do they recommend you do to prepare a rabbit for surgery?
- What type of anesthesia do they use? (Isofluorane or Sevofluane is commonly used these days.)
- What are some of the antibiotics they use on rabbits? (Amoxicillin, lincomycin, and clindamycin could be deadly with one dose. Penicillin, actually any "cillin" could be fatal to a rabbit. Baytril or Maxaquin or Bactrim is commonly used and is okay for your rabbit.)
- What are their hours and how do they handle emergencies after hours?
- What are the most common surgeries they perform on rabbits?
- What does a visit cost and what does it include?
- What methods of payment do they take,and will they bill if one can't pay up front?
- What do they recommend for hairballs and the treatment and prevention of them?

Upon each exam, I have the doctor check all of the following:

Lungs, Heart, Legs, Teeth, Gums, Back, Weight, Temperature, Eyes, Ears, Palpate female if unspayed and older for cancer/tumors, check for hairballs, abscesses or lumps, breathing, nails, feet, and anything else you can think of. If they don't do these things, ask for them to be done.

(I apologize for any typos.)

It was Stephanie and Chomperswho inspired me to write it, Elf Mommy.

I'm thrilled it helped you. Thank you very much.

:dude:

-Carolyn

thanks, I wrote down all of the questions and I'll definitely need them for the vet visit on saturday.

I did not find mine on the list there, but I found on the other list somebody posted here, so I hope the vet I chose will be ok.

Hi AnnaS,

You and your little one will be in my prayers along with Chompers for your visit to the vet.

-Carolyn

Thankfully the vet I went to was awesome,recommened by my mother in law. She actually went with me, which wasnice. We're moving next week five hours away and the search will go onfor a new vet. It's time to spay Abby and I want someone good! If itwasn't so close to moving time, I'd get her spayed now, but I don'twant that much stress put on her all at once.

Our trip to the vet was very good. The bunny wasscared, but he calmed down when we came back home. The vet was veryprofessional, she did a great exam, weighed the bunny, took histemperature, cut his nails, gave me info on how much food he needs.
I am thinking that I should wait a little before neutering him, he isonly 1.5 years old. I am afraid he'll gain weight and will become lessactive, when I neuter him.
The doctor told me that I should give less than 4 tablespoons(<1/4 cup) of food to the bunny, since the bunny weights 4pounds. And also she told me I should give 11/2 cups of veggies perday. On this forum, everybody suggests not giving so much veggies. Soas a result of lowering the veggies, should I increase the amounts offood?

AnnaS wrote:
Ourtrip to the vet was very good. The bunny was scared, but he calmed downwhen we came back home. The vet was very professional, she did a greatexam, weighed the bunny, took his temperature, cut his nails, gave meinfo on how much food he needs.
I am thinking that I should wait a little before neutering him, he isonly 1.5 years old. I am afraid he'll gain weight and will become lessactive, when I neuter him.
The doctor told me that I should give less than 4 tablespoons(<1/4 cup) of food to the bunny, since the bunny weights 4pounds. And also she told me I should give 11/2 cups of veggies perday. On this forum, everybody suggests not giving so much veggies. Soas a result of lowering the veggies, should I increase the amounts offood?
you can talk to 10 different vets about rabbitdiet and get 10 different answers, I suggest you use what works bestfor you and your bun. (I work for a vet who is a rabbit vet)best of wishes--gabby

I would give a bunny that weighs 4 lbs a third toa half cup of feed plus hay.most breeders i know feed no veges so getthe rabbit used to them slowly.I feed carrots and apples astreats.bluebird

Good information on how much a rabbit should befed is:http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html#young

As Gabby said, 10 different vets could give you 10 different answers.Personally, I limit the intake of vegetables and fruits for my rabbitsbecause of their sugar content. At this point, I'm not awareof any studies that have proven that rabbits live longer on apellet-fed diet only or one fed mainly with vegetables.
We had this 'discussion' in a post entitled "Feed Question" byMyBunnyBoys. It may be back a page or two, but I'm sureyou'll find some interesting facts and points on the subject if youread through it.

That said, too much sugar isn't good for a rabbit's digestive system,but, Flopsy, the world's oldest living rabbit recorded in the GuinessBook of World Records, lived only on vegetables and lived to be 18years, 10 months, and 21 days old. (Perhaps the difference oftypes of sugar has something to do with it: example: pure cane vs.glucose, but there's much debate that is still behind the issue of howmuch vegetables should be fed, if any.) In any case, pelletfeed was not thought of back in 1964 when the family found Flopsy, whohappened to be a wild rabbit. He lived on a farm and was fedtheir crop.

As I said, check out the post entitled "Feed Question" and you'll see where some of the conflict in this argument comes up.

A-year-and-a-half is not too young to have a rabbit neutered.You can have one done at 4 months, some vets prefer to wait 5months. Generally, most changes in the rabbit once neuteredare desireable. I can assure you, my buck hasn't calmed downin his need for speed or play, but it did take the edge off of hisaggressive behaviors. It can also prolong the rabbit's life.

-Carolyn

In a way it does sound weird that rabbits shouldnot be fed vegetables, since in the nature their diet is mostly madefrom vegetables and grass.

What are pellets made from? (I actually have no idea)

I think I will neuter my rabbit, its just he is not aggressive at alland he does not mark his territory. He is great the way he is.

Pellets vary from one to another as to what brandyou use. Check out the pellets you feed your rabbit andyou'll learn as to what is in them. A good pellet feed shouldhave at least 18%+ of crude fiber and 12%+ of crude protein.

Neutering or spaying your rabbit does put a curve on their strong need to territorialize an area.

-Carolyn

You know, I just call the two vets in the areathat do spays and neuters of buns, and OMG :shock:The priceis outrageous!!! Over one hundred dollars!!! It costs less toget my 80+ pound dog spayed!!! I asked one of the vets why itwas so expensive and why they didn't bill, or if I could pay inpayments (I need four buns fixed!!!) she said that because there areonly two who can perform the procedures they had to charge such highfees!!! I just can't understand why they have to take advantage ofexotic pet owners!!! Can you tell I'm outraged? Onevet was over $100 with a discount!!! And that vet recommended onlyneutering, not spaying!

I'm at a loss. We just can't afford to pay close to $600 toget this done. It might be more just because the bloodworkfor anesthesia is not included!!!

Yup that's me!!!

AnnaS wrote:
But does it usually give ingredients used to make pellets?

Yes it does, AnnaS. :) If you don't still have thepackaging, as some people put it in tupperware containers to keep itparasite-free and fresh, you can probably find a website of the brandthat you're using and it'll usually list the ingredients in there.

dmmcnair,

I completely understand your upset! I'd be furiousmyself. Sharing this post with you that Buck Jones hadsuggested to someone else on the forum. I hope it helps youwith some alternatives.

-Carolyn

A local animal welfare organization, calledAnimalBirthControl, Inc.,"brokers" morereasonable neutering costs with veterinarians in our area,bringing the fees down to $80.00 and $90.00 for castration andspaying respectively, from usual costs of $200.00 -$300.00. Perhaps, you may have similar civic organizations inyour area that can help.

Often local SPCA's provide free or nominal cost procedures, or localshelters, animal control offices, animal rights organizations know ofthe whereabouts of reasonably costing surgeries.

Buck

AnnaS wrote:
I amthinking that I should wait a little before neutering him, he is only1.5 years old. I am afraid he'll gain weight and will become lessactive, when I neuter him.
Nemo was neutered a little more than a month ago... he was about 8 mosold. Hisbunny vetsaid that with himneutered, litter training would be easier. It didn't slow himdown in the least!I don't know if he gained weight, becauseunfortunately, his next visit to his vet, was for this ongoing catattack emergency. Nemo's vet has 10 bunnies of her own.

Carolyn, I just printed out your info on "lookingfor a Rabbit Vet." Thanks. It'll come in handy whenI get on the horn about Jack next week. Thanksagain.

P.S. If I can figure out how to send a picture of my Jack I'll post it and send one to you too.:D

Hmm... I am also from CT... any recommended vetsof your own? I kinda fed the yellowpages to my papershredder, aka Guinevere and well, I feel like a moron now :shock:

Back