Looking for a mentor (mini rex)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimsonpawwz

Reaction score
Aside from my pet project of working on dwarf "micro" rexes, I plan on trying to get seriously into showing. Problem is, I'm still so new to rabbits. I know just enough to know that I know nothing, really. I recently lost most of my heard (including my two purebred does.) due to a sudden and unexpected change in housing situation, but I know that I'm interested in showing and I want to know as much as possible, so that when I'm in a possition to breed again, I'll be ready to.

So I need some info, and maybe even a constant mentor or two. Someone who's familiar with the mini rex breed. And, if possible, located in or near Georgia.

Some of the things I'd like to know: What's a good color to start with? I find I'm fond of the Castor, broken, BEW, and Tri brokens. What do judges look for? Is there a place (aside from the book recived on joining the ARBA) to find breed specifications and disqualifications? Which colors should and should not be mixed? Why? Which are the best bloodlines/rabbitries that you know of? What sort of breed diseases should I watch out for? (aside from sore feet) And of course, any other info that you all think may be helpful. My thanks, in advance.

-CP

The best thing you can do is join the national mini-rex club. They provide an excellent guide book that gives information on type and color crossing.

The four varieties that you like are not very compatible. The BEWs can be crossed into other varieties to get vienna carriers but can only be used for BEWs. The tris are a tough variety, you will have a hard time finding really good starter stock. Castors and brokens are popular varieties and you should be able to find good starter stock pretty much anywhere in the country.

If you have more questions feel free to PM me.

Roger

You couldn't get a better "long-distance" mentor than RAL Rabbitry! He has beautiful Mini Rex. I agree with him. The Castors are good to work with, Broken Castors too. The Tri's are very difficult. And it's tough to get nicely marked ones. (And what you keep to breed are not usually what you keep to show!)

(As RAL said), Join the National Mini Rex club! Their newsletter is great, very informative and helpful.

THe Mini Rex are a great breed. Mine have easy going temperments and incredible personalities. Attend local shows, look for breeders in your area. (Check the ARBA site for upcoming shows in your state.) Look carefully at the rabbits, see who consistantly wins. DON'T buy the first rabbits you see!

Good luck with your search...

Latest posts

Back