Long-term hock abscess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I would update this (very long) thread with the news that we lost our dear Cocoa on June 7 of this year. Her hock had been no further trouble after my last update, but she had developed scoliosis and arthritis in addition to the original spondylitis, probably somewhat due to the altered gait with the hock. Nonetheless, her death was very unexpected and the cause of death remains mysterious. After a day out of town, we found her lying peacefully on her side as if asleep, and necropsy showed no abnormalities other than some hemorrhaging in the brain. No liver or kidney problems as I was afraid of after her long run with abx,and no evidence of e.c. which I worried about with some of her symptoms. She did have brittle bones (maybe a side-effect of the abx?). We are still waiting for the final pathology report.

A huge thank you to all of you who helped me through that anxious time with our big, beautiful bunny. She put up with a lot of treatments and was always sweet and loving and appreciative of my efforts. We bonded very closely during the long ordeal and I wished for her many more years of abscess- and treatment-free living. I miss her a lot. Binky free, dear Cocoa.

I'm so sorry she passed away. I'm not sure what would have caused this. Thank you for the update. It sounds like she had many happy years with you, although we always will want more for our pets.

Back