Long road trip with buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightPoet00

Reaction score
I'm taking a 3-4 day road trip across thecountry next week, and the bunnies are coming with me. Anysuggestions for how to make this time less stressful for them?

I already plan to:

• let them out in their pen whenever we stop
  • offer themhay, water, veggies, and pineapple at stops
  • get some nutrical tobring along
Okay, so not much special care. Please help! I'vealso heard that putting chamomile in their water will help calm themdown. Can anyone be more specific on this? Is itchamomile tea? How much do you put in their water?Can you put it in the night before? My bunnies don't eat ordrink or, unfortunately, poop during car trips so I'm trying to findways to combat this. Will giving it to them in the morning beenough?

Thank you in advance!

You might want to try practicing. Start withhalf an hour of driving, then move it up to an hour. Get them used toit. Also keep any bonded pairs together to give each other support. Besure to make sure you keep the AC on so they don't overheat. Maybecovering the backseat windows with those child window coverings wouldbe a good idea.

Have a good trip.

Okay, I got the NutriCal. It givesonly the dosage for dogs and cats. Anyone know how much togive a bunny, and when?

I'm not sure how hot is is where you are orwhere you are travelling, but can you freeze several bottles of waterto keep them cool? Also, are they used to their petcarrier? Do they feel safe and comfortable in it?And also, can you bring a toy or two from home? I doubt theywould play with it, but just a little something with them so they feelat home...

NightPoet00 wrote:
Okay, I got the NutriCal. It gives only the dosagefor dogs and cats. Anyone know how much to give a bunny, andwhen?

I think about a dime-sized amount, once a day. If they areshowing signs of problems, you could probably give them more.

Could you maybe stop every hour or two?

My bunnies don't eat or drink or,unfortunately, poop during car trips so I'm trying to find ways tocombat this.

My suggestions would be, before you leave, put a little bit of usedkitty litter from each litter pan into the back ofeachcarrier. If their smell is in there, it mayconvince them it's OK to "go". Once they are using thecarrier (hopefully in one corner), just scoop out what you need to,don't wash away all the smell while you're traveling.

Don't try to feed them while driving. Theyshouldhave all the hay they want to munch on while driving. Maybe alittle fresh vege's when you stop.... Give them their pellets when youstop for the evening. Give them water (bottles are betterthan dishes, while traveling,if they can use them.)Bring water from home.

Put the bunnies in the car so they face sidewards, notforward/back. That way when you step on the brake oraccelerate, they rock from side to side. If they are facingforward/back, they tend to rock forward and dig their nails in, theythink their gonna fall. You can also anchor the carriers witha seat belt through the handles on top (like you would a baby car seat).

It wouldn't hurt to practice with them if you can. Give thema nice little treat when you put them in the carrier, and another whenyou take them out (craisin?). Make it a pleasurableexperience.

Good luck with your trip. Hope the gas prices don't go up too much more!

:wave:

I think if you get them used to traveling now, they'll be ok before your trip.

We take our three rabbits with us on a four hour drive (one way) to myMom's house in the States frequently. They do fine now, although atfirst they didn't like it at all.

This last trip, I fed them lots of lettuce, as they don't eat or drinkin the car, no matter how much I tempt them to. That way, I figure theyget food in their bellies and some water from the lettuce. They do likesome craisins on the trip, but that's about all they'll eat.

We put Abby and Valuran in one carrier and Chompers in another.Chompers is so mellow, he could care less what goes on. He spends halfthe trip digging and ripping the newspaper we line the carriers with.Valuran is the one that hates it most, so Abby calms him a lot. Notsure how your rabbits are with each other, but this works well for us.

Also, we bought a travel cage, that fits very well under our luggage inthe trunk. We also bring their blanket and chew toys along.

Thanks for the help!

Another couple of questions --

Would it be better to have the bunnies in 2 separate carriers or together in 1 big carrier?

Also, would giving them chamomile tea in their water help? If so, how much should I give?

Thanks! I'm crossing my fingers about the gas. I'veheard that in some areas they've run out of gas entirely.:shock:

Would it be better to have the bunnies in 2 separate carriers or together in 1 big carrier?

Also, would giving them chamomile tea in their water help? If so, how much should I give?

Thanks! I'm crossing my fingers about the gas. I'veheard that in some areas they've run out of gas entirely

How do they live now? Are they bonded living in the samecage? Then let them travel together. If they liveseperate, but play together, let them travel seperate, but give themplay time when you can.

Re: chamomile tea, try it at home first, if you have time. Iwouldn't suggest changing the taste of their water or doing anything tothrow them off drinking right before you go. If you want totry, brew a weak cup of tea, let it cool and give it to your buns tosee how they like it.

(O/T: My parents live 2 blocks off the Gulf in Alabama (retired downthere!) and there is no gas to be had. My mom had to drivepretty far into Florida to find gas for the car. Those peopledown there need a lot of help and prayers. Hope you're notheaded south!)

No, I'm not heading south, thankgoodness. Every new report I hear on LA is getting worse andworse. It seems like the most terrible part is that lootersand such are turning on each other. It's a horrible situation.

Thank you all for the help! Pray for a safe and uneventful journey for my buns.

BlueGiants wrote:
Those people down thereneed a lot of help and prayers. Hope you're not headed south!)

I hope you don't have to drive through Georgia!

I saw this pic on yahoo news. Scary, isn't it?
capt.gagb10409010035.katrina_oil_gagb104.jpg

Gulp! :shock: That's in theUK, right, where things are more expensive...right...?:( No, I'm staying in the northern part of the US.We're heading up to Chicago and then it's a straight shot over to theBig Sky Country.

NightPoet00 wrote:
Gulp! :shock: That's in the UK, right,where things are more expensive...right...? :( No,I'm staying in the northern part of the US. We're heading upto Chicago and then it's a straight shot over to the Big Sky Country.

I don't know about Chicago, but Milwaukee had gas at about $3.30 this morning. Not bad, considering.

I had a practice session today with the buns,and I think it was pretty successful. I bought them a brandnew carrier that's big enough to hold both of them and give them alittle space to move around, without being so big that they feel lostor insecure.

They were very curious about it, as I put it on the floor during playtime today. They hopped in and out without fear, which was agood start! Then I lured them both in there with their firstever craisins, which they loved. Mabel went in like a charm,but I ended up having to manhandle Winston a little.

Once in, I put some of their litter in a corner hoping it wouldencourage bathroom usage. I also gave them a heaping bowl ofdripping and delicious veggies. Then I left them there forabout an hour or two. They were nervous at first, and Mabelkept chewing on the bars. But they soon settled down tomunching. When I let them out later (with one more craisinfor each!) the veggies were gone and it looked as if they MIGHT havepeed in a corner. No poops, I don't think, but they commencedpooping immediately upon release. I guess that'ssomething. Keep your fingers crossed that they'll poop intransit! :?

Back