Long lasting rabbit toys??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaches and Cream

Reaction score
As we all know rabbits need toys to grind their teeth down and to keep them busy, but we can't always take our rabbits every where we go. All my rabbits favorite toys get destroyed in minutes cause they love them so much! Which is great and all my I need a toy that lasts longer while I'm away, please if anyone has a toy that lasts longer than 10 minutes lol please let me know!🐇

Actually it's the eating of hay that grinds down their teeth. "Chew" toys don't really help with that. When they eat grass or hay, they move their jaw in a figure 8 motion. That, along with the silica in the grass (which acts like sandpaper), is what grinds down their teeth.

To keep them busy, you could try rotating the exploring type of toys... tunnels, boxes, paper bags, etc. The exploring can help keep them occupied while you're away. (And of course providing loads of hay and hay-type toys like the TP tubes stuffed with hay is helpful.)boxes fun orange border lower res.jpg

I have a couple of homemade toys for my bunny, and she seems to enjoy them pretty well. So I got some rabbit-safe wood, and my brother cut it into a cylinder shape, like below, he then cut a hole through the middle lengthways, from top to bottom, then he cut it in half lengthways (top to bottom). It then was like a half circle, and it rocks back and forward, my bunny likes nocking it with her nose and rocking it, or she bites it and flips it over and over moving it along the floor of her pen. (Good muscle workout). That has lasted months now.

I'm not sure if that was a helpful idea

Attachments

• 1681951689895.png
    1681951689895.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 0
Thank you so much @Blue eyes and @Jocee! That helps so much, I have a tunnel on the way and I'm keeping cardboard boxes and pieces of wood! My buns will be so happy to have a challenge! 😄

Hi Peaches and Cream! If you don't mind toys that are already made, I've purchased a few toys from Bunadventure Series, they have some interesting enrichment toys that can help!

If your bun isn't really interested in fabrics and you have a possible space for it, i would think of setting up a "blanket fort" for them, kind of like how we used to make them for ourselves as kids. Depending on what spaces you can use for it, i bet that buns would have a blast for a longer time, exploring the passageways and whatnot, especially if you can manage to get some intersections in there. I bet it would be equally entertaining for them to tear it down as well, provided it would just be fleeces/sheets or anything else that your rabbits wouldn't eat.

Blue eyes showed mostly what I have. I make cardboard castles for ours--one big box with several more inside with holes cut in each so the can go thru all and I put a hole in the ceiling of one so they can get to the next level and then one more for the top so they can stroll the ramparts. Gives them hours of fun and chewing. The left over bits get vacuumed once a week and the structures last one to two months, during which I collect boxes for the next structure. I also used to have a lot of fruit trees so I'd cut apple branches when I trimmed in the winter and could dole them out over the intervening months. I think Willow branches would work too--what us Native s used to use to make a tea which later was found to be healthy and led to Aspirin.

Blue eyes showed mostly what I have. I make cardboard castles for ours--one big box with several more inside with holes cut in each so the can go thru all and I put a hole in the ceiling of one so they can get to the next level and then one more for the top so they can stroll the ramparts. Gives them hours of fun and chewing. The left over bits get vacuumed once a week and the structures last one to two months, during which I collect boxes for the next structure. I also used to have a lot of fruit trees so I'd cut apple branches when I trimmed in the winter and could dole them out over the intervening months. I think Willow branches would work too--what us Native s used to use to make a tea which later was found to be healthy and led to Aspirin.
Awesome thank you so much!

Latest posts

Back