Long Island Fair

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueGiants

Reaction score
If anyone has the time, the Long Island (Nassau/Suffiolk) Fair is being held October 1-4, at the Old Bethpage Resoration. I have the pleasure and honor of being the Rabbit Superintendent and have been trusted with over 40 rabbits (in 14 breeds!) belonging local club members and 4-H kids.

If anyone is local enough to visit, please stop by the Livestock barn and say Hi!

It was really good... I just a little depressed over the way some people reacted to animals. We had bus loads of kids come in... and it was a great educational experience for them to see cows, oxen, sheep, goats, chickens, turkeys, rabbits, etc... But one woman (teacher/chaparone) wouldn't let her kids come in the Livestock barn because she saw chickens and told the whole class they would get Avian Flu in there... (I guess I'm infected! I spent 4 days in there!) Another person wouldn't let the kids touch any of the animals (not even the rabbits!) because they "carry Swine Flu"!!!! (Really? My rabbits look like pigs? And btw... pigs don't even carry it!)

But on the bright side, I got to explain about rabbits to a lot of people... they got to see breeds from the 2 lb. Nethie's up to Waikiki, my 19 1/2 lb White Flemish. They loved the little lionheads, couldn't get over the fur of the Mini Rex, loved the color of the Thrianta, and marveled over the ears of the English Lops. It was a really good, diverse group of bunnies that people could see. I explained about keeping rabbits as companions and proper care of a rabbit...

Best in Show was won by a little black Mini Rex buck, owned by a 12 year old girl. (Which just so happened to be the brother of POE!) I was really happy for her!

Wells Fargo brought their Stage Coach and people had nice rides around the Restoration and Fair grounds... (What a LOVELY team of horses they had!). (I'm really glad I never had to ride long distances in one of those stage coaches! NOT very comfortable!) And I really enjoyed the Miniature horses and the little carts they pull! Those little guys had some attitude! LOL! In the paddock, they'd run up and nip at the big horses then run away! Lil trouble makers!

I am so happy 4 that sounds like a great experience, well for the most part. lol 4 those dummies that were there maybe next time you could bring a long bat with u and beat some sense in to them ha ha ha OR start coughing, sneezing, and itching lol

So will this b your new career path, have u been invited back, is there other fairs that also do this???

Yeah, I was invited back for next year... (I've been doing it for a couple of years.) But they only hold it once a year... Probably a good thing... I don't know if I could take much more of people's stupidity. :foreheadsmack:

One of the guys taking care of the chickens found an egg (no surprise there!). But he didn't have anyplace to put it down without it rolling away. So he laid it down on the ledge behind one of the rabbit cages. Some woman (and her kid) picked it up and brought it to me. They told me the "brown Rabbit laid a brown egg", and could I "return it to her before she got upset"? I swear, I couldn't make this stuff up.... (I'm guessing they watched too many Cadbury Egg commercials?) :headsmack

BlueGiants wrote:
One of the guys taking care of the chickens found an egg (no surprise there!). But he didn't have anyplace to put it down without it rolling away. So he laid it down on the ledge behind one of the rabbit cages. Some woman (and her kid) picked it up and brought it to me. They told me the "brown Rabbit laid a brown egg", and could I "return it to her before she got upset"? I swear, I couldn't make this stuff up.... (I'm guessing they watched too many Cadbury Egg commercials?) :headsmack
:roflmao: this brought me to tears it was so funny. Just a thought but u should get one of those pocket cameras, tape the stupidity and sent it in to AFV u make a boat load which means more money 4 the bunnies lol

BlueGiants wrote:
Some woman (and her kid) picked it up and brought it to me. They told me the "brown Rabbit laid a brown egg", and could I "return it to her before she got upset"?
They only found just the one????
I thought bunnies laid several at the same time.

:expressionless

JimD wrote:
BlueGiants wrote:
Some woman (and her kid) picked it up and brought it to me. They told me the "brown Rabbit laid a brown egg", and could I "return it to her before she got upset"?
They only found just the one????
I thought bunnies laid several at the same time.

:expressionless
:roflmao:

Cool! I'm going to check on my buns. Wondering if I'll find a black egg, calico or brown egg?

Back